A couple questions related to housing (heating and enclosure)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran SD

Reaction score
Background: I currently have a Darwin Carpet Python, that I have kept in a 30x30x15 enclosure, being heated with a heat matt, connected with a thermometer. The snake is a hatchling that I've currently had for about 3 months.
Q1: I have another enclosure that is 60x45x45 and is practically set up and ready to go, except for heating and lights. I am unsure what exactly to use, I have a decent heating matt that would work well, but I am unsure about using lights/ lamps, do I need them as well? And say if lights aren't necessary are they beneficial and should they be run alongside the heating matt?

Q2: When would the snake be ready to move to the bigger enclosure? Now? A few months? Would it be comfortable to moved now?

Thanks

For your Q1 that size enclosure is fine if you can provide hides at cool and warm side for the snake it be ok also for lighting i use warm white led strips installed inside the enclosure and working on timer 12h daytime circle for heating you need Thermostat ! If you have mesh top enclosure you can use light holder dome and use red infrared globe u can use it 24h ON the red light won't harm your snake.or ceramic ( i prefer ceramic no lighting whit it ) Thermometer is required for both sides of your tank to see your cool and warm side temperatures for temperatures warm side 30-32 celcius cool side not below 21 Celsius snake will move around to regulate its temperature
[doublepost=1567941254,1567941038][/doublepost]I have 9 month old Darwin carpet python in 120cmLx60cmHx60cmD melamine enclosure whit mesh top Reptile one brand have the exactly same setup as i wrote snake eats and poops and sheds well whit no harm

Don't use lights in a 30cm enclosure, that's asking for a cooked snake.

Lights aren't necessary at all, not even really beneficial for a Darwin Carpet assuming there's a window or room lighting giving a photoperiod (and the jury is still out on if even that is of any benefit - so far we have little more than speculation).

As far as keeping your snake happy goes, floor heat is plenty.

Upgrade to the larger cage whenever you think it's necessary. If it was me he'd already be well and truly too large for a 30cm enclosure by now, but he's obviously growing more slowly than I'd be running it (I'm one of those terribly evil feeder breeders who grows their pythons at ridiculous rates). If the snake seems happy and isn't obviously much too large for the current enclosure I'm never in a hurry to move them. Sometimes they get stressed when you move them, so if they're currently happy I figure there's no harm in letting them stay happy. I'd personally have them go from being too small to go into a 60cm enclosure to being too large for a 60cm enclosure within a few months, so when raising Carpets I either just stick them straight from their hatchling tub into their adult enclosure and let them grow into it over a few feeds or just give them a temporary plastic tub for a few months. I once had a bredli which was happy in her hatchling tub, she got large so I figured I'd put her into her adult enclosure (120cm x 60cm x 60cm) but she clearly wasn't as happy, so I put her back in the tub (less than 30cm long), she was happy in there and kept growing/feeding until it became ridiculous, but every time I put her in the large enclosure she just clearly wasn't comfortable. Eventually I just put the tub in the big enclosure and left the lid off, she stayed in that tub other than to get a drink (and I only stopped putting the water bowl in the tub because she literally filled the tub up with her body) until she was over 5' long at about a year old. One day she just decided she liked perching up under the basking lamp and never went back into the tub. Other Carpets will be happy going straight into a large enclosure when they're babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back