Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Whilst I'm not considering getting any soon, I am curious as to what venomous people started put on and reasons why?

And what are considered more advanced vens?

G'day Jannico,

Most peoples first elapids are Red Bellies, Spotted Blacks or Colletts. They are hardy, easy to handle, and very forgiving of mistakes.

In the middle, you'll find things like Kingies, Adders, Tigers, Copperheads and Speckled Browns. All are a little more unforgiving of mistakes, but once you have a sound knowledge of venomous snakes they are easy to handle and keep.

At the top of the list, you've got Inland and Coastal Taipans, the rest of your Brown Snakes and personally, Rough Scaled Snakes.

Thanks Johnno
anyone else like add ?
I kinda lied i am considering getting a vens license hahah when im applicable

think more info needs to be added as to what you have already kept and what license you hold

My 1st was a RBBS, as this is the only schedule 1 Elapid in SA., my 2nd was a tiger, then a brown

My first was a whip. Not a great starter, then i got a Furina ornata which was even worse lol.

My whip is alot of fun, it is very alert, very active and loves to bite. Very difficult when it comes to feeding, often refuses and it regularly needs to be force fed. I wouldn't reccomend one for a first elapid, it takes alot of time and patience. I would have got myself a larger elapid like one of the black snakes to start but our laws in the NT don't allow for it.

although i have no experiance with vens as yet i will be aquiring some brown tree snakes (night tigers) at the end of this year and i reckon while your on class 1 get a brown tree snake, see how you like them and the go into the higher classes. but probably after that i reckon a RBBS.

Jannico are you aware of how to go about getting a licence? You need to do a ven course and then need written references from people of note to the EPA stating you are sound.

I was going to get my ven licence but there is so much paperwork etc and I had no idea where to get references from so it dissuaded me. If I can figure out that stuff I would still like to keep vens one day, but yeah just letting you know.

Also how old are you?

Getting a ven licence isn't an easy task at all in QLD, can be very difficult if you don't 'know' people.

How long have you been keeping snakes for Jannico?

Oh i know that it takes a long time. I know that you need the two written references from established keepers, that you need to have your own individual basic recreational license for at least two years, that you need do to the courses and then have one on one experience with two established keepers and be sound in ven's husbandry among other facets of keeping Also you need the equipment, lockable inescapable room and first aid cert. And then you have to find someone who is able to give you that "training". So obviously something that dosen't happen over night or even in the space of a few months.

QLD makes it hard for reason though hahaha.

I'm not jumping into this, just curious as what was a starters Elapid and what people started out on. Similar to how some new snake keepers keep a python that is generally perceived as less aggressive and hardy.

I was also wondering if there was that opinion of there is no such thing a starters Elapid as there is that opinion in respect to pythons.

With whipsnakes i was just curious i think they look great and wanted to know about them.

Ok, I'm 18, I've been keeping reptiles since i was 8 and pythons since i was 12 although I have only just REALLY got into it the last year seeing as I graduated and now have more time and money to spend on herps. I've been keeping carpets since i was 12 and just got a water and GTS this year, so I consider myself sound with those species. With only just turning 18 I only just recently got my own recreational basic license and hence i wont be even eligible till I'm 20-21.

Basically just curious but I am considering getting a ven's license eventually.
Just wanted some basic knowledge.

Wow that was a post and a half.
Thanks

Jannico are you aware of how to go about getting a licence? You need to do a ven course and then need written references from people of note to the EPA stating you are sound.

I was going to get my ven licence but there is so much paperwork etc and I had no idea where to get references from so it dissuaded me. If I can figure out that stuff I would still like to keep vens one day, but yeah just letting you know.

Also how old are you?
where as in vic u just pay the extra $$$ , DSE dont really care - cause theres too many pepole in vic and vens will soon fix that :lol:

Hi Jannico,

I've only just started with elapids, but would highly recommend a RBB! If you can find one, an older individual may be better than a hatchie initially, especially one that is a good feeder and handler (on a hook). I have a two year old and he's very tolerant, interested in the comings and goings of the household (not shy) and, overall, a joy to own.

ERD run some courses in QLD that you may be interested in.

Hi Jannico,

All the black snakes are generally a fairly good choice for a first ven. Adders are also fairly safe as long as you stay out of there strike range and are obviously a strictly non touch animal. When I went for my ven licence a few years ago I didn't need to hold a first aid certificate. My first elapid was a very quiet mainland tiger although I wouldn't recommend them for a first snake as they can be unpredictable and not for the inexperienced.

Like Jonas said, I think Adders are a great first Elapid.

They dont come shooting out of the cage,
There is no need to come in contact with them,
They are good looking,
They feed well and dont dirty up the cage as often as other Elapids,

All in all a great snake to keep and admire. With no real need to handle them as all handling can be done on a hook.

Just dont get complacent with them, as thats when most bites with adders occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back