A wild Taikionas appears. It casts noob.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taikionas

Reaction score
Hi peoples,

I have been trying to look into ownership of lizards. I don't get a whole lot of time though so it's been a slow process. So far I've gotten: requires license of varying degree; can't get leopard gecko; environmental/dietary requirements differ; shouldn't be too hard to keep one alive.

This desire has escalated rather slowly, so I don't really know if it's something I will actually finish pursuing. However, in the meantime I can continue my investigations. Knowledge is power, right?

Anyway, as inferred above, I'm looking into something small (roughly 30cm or less) like a lot of geckos I've seen so far. I had the misfortune of looking at some leopards for too long before seeing that it would be rather difficult (read: illegal) to get one.

That's about all I gave to say at the moment. But I do look forward to seeing what these boards have to offer.

Whatever you decided to get realise it is a big commitment that will require almost daily care, so make sure you are dedicated and don't do anything on a whim. Nice Pokemon reference by the way. ;)

What native species in particular do you fancy and what state do you live in?

NSW, Central Coast/Gosford area.

Just started looking into the ring tailed gecko. I found http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/CurrentSpeciesList.pdf and Reptile - Australian Geckos. Now I'm just making the slow process of going through the lists and seeing what I find interesting.

I'm completely aware of the commitment required, which is why I'm still just looking into it. I mean, I've only just discovered the license range so I'm also aware that I have a long way to go before ownership.

Put it this way; I'm taking this extremely slowly, checking out one lizard a day pretty much. I expect that I won't be getting anything within the next three months. The way I figure it, if I'm still looking into this after 3 months then it means that I probably have enough interest to go through with it.

There is an expo at Penrith Panthers on this Sunday and another at the Newcastle Jockey Club in a few weeks. Expo give you a chance to see whats around and to talk face to face to keepers.

Velvet gecko is looking pretty good. Looks like it might be worth looking in to when I'm not so inebriated.

Other than the usual "Requires commitment" speeches, any and all information is greatly appreciated. After all, I am a square one noob in this department. If you're feeling a bit lazy, then feel free to link the helpful links.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could maybe look into thick tailed geckos or broad banded sandswimmers ,scalyfoots, they're relatively easy to keep

If you want geckos go for Smooth/Rough Knobbies like Levis, Pilbs, Amyae, Wheeleri or Thick-tailed Geckos for ground geckos or if you prefer arboreal go for any Oedura or Strophurus species like Marbled Velvets, Northern Spiny-tailed or Golden-tailed Geckos, I would also consider Broad-tailed Geckos.

Everything I have listed above is beginner level and reasonably easy to find. There are many others that are suited to beginners but I think you will find the above the most fulfilling to keep and easiest to find for a reasonable price.

If you are thinking Skinks or Dragons let us know and someone can provide a similar list of species.

For reading material you cannot go past these titles: Geckodan » Danny Brown » The Bookshop - Page 1 ( on that page I would go for the titles written by Danny Brown before others).

I think for us to help you it would be best if you listed what you are after in a lizard, for example, tolerance to handling, ease of keeping, budget, tank size etc.

Cheers,

Josh

PS, I think you may already know this but the licensing requirements in NSW for Ring-tails state that you need to have 2 years of prior keeping experience before you can apply for a R2 license for which they require for that species.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back