Acanthophis cummingi

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stretch

Reaction score
For something completely different...

This snake was actually named after a very good friend of mine (also my endurance riding teammate and founder of our team and now ex-political journalist)

She knows Raymond Hoser very well and put me onto him when Charlotte was sick. He was very blunt, very informative and very good.

Kind of cool having a DEATH ADDER named after you....hehehee

I never really liked the shape of their heads, but the cummingi has more like a short python head with thin neck before getting quite fat in the body.

Anyone here have any interesting venomous snakes?

I am really interested in red belly blacks. I would not consider owning one in the near future, I have no idea on how to care for/handle one! Not been in the snake field long enough.

I too really like the Red Bellys but like you as such a newbie, I'd never even aspire to own one for years to come....
But who knows, maybe one day...

On the subject of RBB's.
At a christmas carnival thingo just gone they had this reptile exhibition where the guy was trying to educate the general public about snakes and explain that they are totally misunderstood.Had all the usual pythons etc plus a RBB.This RBB was so placid even I was amazed.He held it in his hands and let it crawl all over him just like we handle our pythons and other non venomous stuff.

I spent ages talking to him afterwards and all the time this RBB was laying on his arm catching some sun.Amazing stuff.Said it was raised from an egg and was as gentle as a lamb which obviously it was.

cheers

Yeah, they are known for being placid, another good quality apart from their beauty. I just love the way they flatten out to get sun, the big scales and that beautiful red colouring. :)

I've got two hatchling red bellied blacks which are super easy to free handle when the need arises (not something I generally just 'do' ). But, like pythons, all venemous snakes have different temperaments. A Friend of mine has a pair of Spotted Blacks. One you can just about pick up, the other has dedicated it's life to trying to eat a human.

Yeah, I know a guy who owns RBB's and he free handles them like pythons. I'd love to own one myself one day, sort of a first step before getting a death adder. They're like cute little sausages! Lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back