Ackie enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doge123456

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What is the the ideal size enclosure for 1 Ackie

many places say different sizes so i thought I would ask people who have one

4x2Hx2D for 1 male, 5Lx3Hx2D for a pair
Thank you
also how long did it take for your Ackie to become ok with you touching them and will run on you or around you
i don’t expect the Ackie to be like a bearded dragon but would like to be able to touch him/her

What is the the ideal size enclosure for 1 Ackie

many places say different sizes so i thought I would ask people who have one

Hi, for far too long they have been housed in bare minimum sized enclosures, no way is a 4L x 2H x 2W (feet) tank big enough for even one adult, at least as the permanent home?
I would suggest a minimum size of 5L x 2.5W x 2.5 H (feet) but bigger is even better..
The species can live for 20 years or so, for anyone to believe they should be contained in the smaller size is tantamount to animal cruely in my opinion
If the animal/s are female they will require a decent depth of substrate for nesting, that being between 10 to 12 inches, so even if the setup was 2.5ft tall it doesn`t leave much above ground space, the species is quite adept at climbing, and they should be offered the opportunity to do that if they choose..
I would suggest that many "breeders" keep them in as small a space as possible, and if the monitors breed they will say it`s all the space they need (nonsense)??
This is my (male) V. storri, they get to around 16 inches or so, the enclosure measures 6L x 2W x 2.5H (feet) and he uses every square inch...
For two animals (V. acanthurus) I would advise adding another foot to the length and height if possible...

Attachments

• IMG-20201128-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20201128-WA0011.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 4
  • VID-20201205-WA0007.mp4
    19.6 MB
Last edited:
Hi, for far too long they have been housed in bare minimum sized enclosures, no way is a 4L x 2H x 2W (feet) tank big enough for even one adult, at least as the permanent home?
I would suggest a minimum size of 5L x 2.5W x 2.5 H (feet) but bigger is even better..
The species can live for 20 years or so, for anyone to believe they should be contained in the smaller size is tantamount to animal cruely in my opinion
If the animal/s are female they will require a decent depth of substrate for nesting, that being between 10 to 12 inches, so even if the setup was 2.5ft tall it doesn`t leave much above ground space, the species is quite adept at climbing, and they should be offered the opportunity to do that if they choose..
I would suggest that many "breeders" keep them in as small a space as possible, and if the monitors breed they will say it`s all the space they need (nonsense)??
This is my (male) V. storri, they get to around 16 inches or so, the enclosure measures 6L x 2W x 2.5H (feet) and he uses every square inch...
For two animals (V. acanthurus) I would advise adding another foot to the legth and height if possible...
How is she with be handled
or be able to be pick up to run around outside of her enclosure

But what if I want to handle and let them out of there enclosure

You will need to build some trust which can take some time, you have to move at the monitor`s pace, not yours.
The best way is by using food which is hard for them to resist, but you can only start doing that when they`ve become fully acclimated to the enclosure which can take weeks or in some cases months, and still no guaranteee they will accept being force handled.
I normally start by sitting next to the enclosure, make sure you`re at their level, also no other animals present.
Can I ask what the usual temps are in the room are, assuming you`ll be keeping the monitor indoors rather than outide?

Latest posts

Back