Ackie Monitor Size and Pic Request.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a problem with feeding them myself, but everybody else I know would. Having dead mice in the freezer would be an immediate deal breaker for everyone else. If the mice were needed I would figure something out. If feeding them on occasion would lead to a healthier diet for the lizard (even if not necessary) I would definitely go for it. Its just more acceptable in my house to have colonies of insects rather than frozen mice.

Thanks for the info. When I'm ready to get an ackie I'll set up the enclosure a month or so before buying it and monitor the temperature to see what its like. If not I'll figure a way to make sure it keeps from getting cold.

Would you recommend one or two? I was going to go for just a male as I've read that females can die due to reproductive problems. I notice that you mentioned that in this thread too. They are an expensive lizard and the one I've always wanted, so it would suck to lose it like that. Or is that just when they are alone?

I personally don`t see a difference between keeping frozen rodents and keeping fish, or mammal/bird parts in the freezer, even though I know many people do!?
If you prefer not to breed and just want the animal more as a "pet", then males are "easier" because there`s obviously no need to provide suitable nesting, that being one of the main reasons females fail in captivity (many varanid species). Even a lone female is going to become gravid on a regular basis and there`s always a chance that she could lay fertile eggs (asexually) even though it hasn`t yet been recorded in this species in captivity as far as I know, but it could actually have happened many times unbeknown to the keeper! I think you can buy them for £150 or less. A long term investment (maybe over 20 years).

I personally don`t see a difference between keeping frozen rodents and keeping fish, or mammal/bird parts in the freezer, even though I know many people do!?
If you prefer not to breed and just want the animal more as a "pet", then males are "easier" because there`s obviously no need to provide suitable nesting, that being one of the main reasons females fail in captivity (many varanid species). Even a lone female is going to become gravid on a regular basis and there`s always a chance that she could lay fertile eggs (asexually) even though it hasn`t yet been recorded in this species in captivity as far as I know, but it could actually have happened many times unbeknown to the keeper! I think you can buy them for £150 or less. A long term investment (maybe over 20 years).
I wouldn't mind it myself. But there are a lot of people that have problems with rodents, my family wouldn't be happy with them in close proximity to the food we eat. I may commandeer a shelf in the freezer at the bottom that sees less use if it would go over okay with others.

It would be cool to breed them, but I don't have the experience to go ahead with that I think. I may just do a male then. I'll wait until I find an actual red ackie rather than a less pure individual. Or if I find a nice impure one I'll go for that. Thanks for all your help!

I wouldn't mind it myself. But there are a lot of people that have problems with rodents, my family wouldn't be happy with them in close proximity to the food we eat. I may commandeer a shelf in the freezer at the bottom that sees less use if it would go over okay with others.

It would be cool to breed them, but I don't have the experience to go ahead with that I think. I may just do a male then. I'll wait until I find an actual red ackie rather than a less pure individual. Or if I find a nice impure one I'll go for that. Thanks for all your help!

You`re most welcome to the advice, thanks for listening, any questions at all, just ask! Here`s one example, not sure if it`s a red or yellow but worth looking into if you can manage to purchase at this time.... https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/119344833/ackie-monitors.html?link=/classifieds/pets/reptiles/all/uk/ackie+monitors

You`re most welcome to the advice, thanks for listening, any questions at all, just ask! Here`s one example, not sure if it`s a red or yellow but worth looking into if you can manage to purchase at this time.... https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/119344833/ackie-monitors.html?link=/classifieds/pets/reptiles/all/uk/ackie+monitors
Wow.... that's an amazing price. The cheapest I've seen a single ackie was 250, dearest 560. 100 each.... and three for 250. Wow. Really wish that I was ready for them, but I won't be for a while yet. I'd have just gone ahead and bought 2 or 3 if I was. Ah well. I'm one for preparing long in advance anyway, so it wouldn't feel right to rush into it at this stage. I always have to control myself when I see things like this though :D Seems a bit redundant saying this again, but thanks! Very helpful. I'll make sure to come back if I need to know anything else.

I think I'll definitely be looking for a pair of these in 2020.
So now it's a pair of shinglebacks and mixed group of netted dragons and a pair of ackie monitors on my shopping list, and maybe a mixed pair of velvet geckos .

Latest posts

Back