Ackie monitor's would two females live happily together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade McCormack

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there are several threads with similar questions already but I am thinking of adding an ackie (or two) to my growing collection. I have certainly caught the bug and have a zeb jungle, albino darwin and pygmy beardy. I have read conflicting information regarding how many to have. Some say they are social and do better in groups and others say they end up fighting when they reach sexual maturity and you have to seperate them.

I was planning on getting a 6 foot enclosure and getting two females from the same clutch would this work? Having not had any experience with monitors I originally wanted a black headed monitor, however, further research has lead me to the ackie as a suitable first monitor they look like lots of fun and easier to manage (correct me if I am wrong).

I will not be buying until next year so plenty of time to do more research and get everything set up and ready. I just like to be fully prepared hence asking now!

If anyone wants to share pictures of their set ups I would love to see them too :)

Cheers

Ackies are a bit hit and miss. I often hear of people having them live together well and also often hear of them killing each other, definitely more so than most other species of monitors.

If what you want is a black-headed monitor, I'd go for a black-headed monitor :) They're larger and need more space and more feeding, but they're not especially difficult to keep. As with most monitors, just give them a blasting hot (at least 60 degrees celcius) basking spot and enough to eat, don't forget the supplements, and you'll do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back