Ackie requirements

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BredliFreak

Reaction score
So for a while I've been thinking of getting an ackie pair, so could anyone tell me about the husbandry/potential problems/advice for these guys?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

Bump. Surely someone on here keeps ackies?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try this again... Anyone have any ackie care info?

- - - Updated - - -

Her you go bredli. It's from a Yank magazine but gives you a pretty good idea. Like it says in the article they are a very good first monitor. I've got a few friends that keep them and have a nice female myself.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Spiny-Tailed-Monitor-Lizard/y

Just for future reference you can Google this type of information very easily. I got this in just a couple of seconds after Googling - Varanus acanthurus care sheets.

Cheers,

George.

Cheers George have been googling but some of the ones that came up weren't that helpful. Also the link doesn't work, it comes up with "error 404 page not found"

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind works now

Also, what substrate do I use? I generally use Kritter Krumble for my other animals but I assume I should use red desert sand? Is it necessary to give ackies a burrowing style enclosure? If so, what substrate would be best?

Cheers George have been googling but some of the ones that came up weren't that helpful. Also the link doesn't work, it comes up with "error 404 page not found"

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind works now

Good to hear. I was just going to check it out.

Also, what substrate do I use? I generally use Kritter Krumble for my other animals but I assume I should use red desert sand? Is it necessary to give ackies a burrowing style enclosure? If so, what substrate would be best?

They do like to burrow. I use the orange/red coloured builders sand. It holds moisture a little better than the strait out white beach sand.

George.

Bump, also:

What brand of halogen bulbs should I use for basking?

How have you gone about taming your ackies

Bump, also:

What brand of halogen bulbs should I use for basking?

How have you gone about taming your ackies

I find a lot of people are just too anal with keeping most herps. I keep things simple. Other than moving them to a separate enclosure for cleaning I don't handle any of my critters.

I just use a 60 watt spot light for basking and a simple UVB energy saver globe that can be bought at any supermarket. Don't even turn the UVB on unless it's been a little cloudy fro a couple of day.

Cheers,

George.

Those GU-10 halogen (240v) globes seem to be used a lot by small monitor guys. I used them for my gillens. They give a very hot but small basking spot with a low wattage (35 w or 50w); just adjust the distance accordingly to get your desired temperature (I used anywhere from 55-65 for my gillens, with about 45 on surrounding rocks). Could use multiple ones to provide larger spots or increase ambient temperatures I suppose.

-Will

Cheers pinkmus

How many do u use? (Oh, just realised that piney asked that)

Also how did you go about taming your Gillens?

Just the one GU10 globe is good enough to get those temps. They're really effective for our purposes but, unfortunately, the exact thing that makes them good for us makes them terrible as consumer light globes (super inefficient as a light source). That means they're getting slightly more difficult to get

Yea one is enough for the basking spot. I don't think many people run ceramic etc to get the ambients up as they're considered less important. AFAIK you can get the 50w ones at bunnings still. They project their heat really well. (If you use them in a house you can actually feel the heat lol)

To be honest I never bothered trying to tame my gillens (they never bit when handled for cleaning etc). The female was quite flighty, I'd think ackies would be a better choice for handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back