ackies help!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zhutou

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey people!
I got 4 ackies (3 months old) a week ago and since i've put them in the enclosure they just wouldn't come out to eat!
i have to remove the tile and feed them manually (minced chicken meat), otherwise they just wouldn't eat or even bask under the spot light (i don't even see them)!
do they take a while to settle in new enclosures?
I am very new to reptiles :(
cheers

Hey zhutou,
Give them time to settle in, they need to get used to their environment.
Make sure the spotlight end is hot enough with nice rocks for them to bask on.
Don't hassle them too much at this stage.
Cheers
Ad

thanks ad
i guess i can only wait for them to get comfortable
also after not eating for 2 days (they didnt come out at all) they weren't even interested at the woodies i chucked inside, is it just a sign of frustration?
i did end up feeding them minced chicken which they ate
cheers

As long as they eat something your doing well, my ackies took a ages to settle but once they do feeding should be no problem, unless you run out of food :wink:

thanks Jordo, I feel a lot more relieved now
:D
How old were your ackies when you first got them?
Maybe i should put them in a smaller enclosure first (as they are currently in a 4*2*2)
cheers

They were less than a month old I think, I had my 2 in a 4'2'2' and they were fine. The males do fight when they mature though (I had males :( ) so be prepared to seperate them. Another warning, you'll get heaps of fun out of these guys, then become addicted to goannas, so start making your lacie cage now. :D
cheers

How hot is the basking spot? It should be 45-50 degrees plus, they love it really hot!!

Cheers Alex

Yeah, they love to cook, I had the thermostat on full and they still basked under the lights (sorry I don't know the actual temp)

Lol jordo...spot on mate.

they were the first goannas i bought. & well i got more. goannas got me off snakes & into them more ! just recently got a lacie as well lol.

zhutou bangla.. when u getting ur lacie ? ur swimming pool would be a prefect enlosure for it :twisted:

Heres a pic of one of mine as a juvenille. (NT form)

jordo: yea i am already getting heaps of fun out of these guys :D they are doing a lot better now, i think it was just a matter of adjusting to their tank. its all good now. very nice looking ackies there by the way

skunk: bangla! lacie eating the chopped up mouse alright yea? just like magic!

ether: the basking spot is around 42-45, lately they've been basking a lot which is a very good sign :D

thanks for all the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back