Adult Bredli in outdoor enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm picking up another large bredli this weekend from a keeper who now finds it too large to handle.
Unfortunately I don't have time or room to set up another inside enclosure and was thinking of just picking up an Avery from bunnings and housing the new addition outside.

My only concern is I'm in Sydney and we are having quite a bit of humidity ATM. I know the Bredli's prefer more arid environments.

Does anyone else keep Bredli's outside in or around Sydney? If so, have you had any issues?

Thanks.

I personally wouldn't keep a Bredli outside in Sydney - especially considering this adult has likely spent its life indoors. Bredli like it hot, I'd be less worried about humidity and more worried about ensuring that the Bredli is able to maintain a preferred body temperature. Depending on your setup you may struggle to do this in an outside setting. I'd suggest possibly asking them to hold onto the snake until you are able to house it. Whenever I am looking to purchase an animal the cage and setup is organised prior to the animal being selected.

Nose/Wire rubbing maybe of a concern as well as the above, l have kept Bredli for 15-20 years and mine all like to bask in the mid to high 30's and are "very" arborial given the chance but you should have this point covered. ~B~

Thanks for the responses. I should clarify that I have several Bredli's already, but all are housed inside, in tall enclosures with suitable heat etc.
I have several spare enclosures, one definitely large enough for a large Bredli (it used to house a Scrub python), but i have not yet wired it up and it would be difficult finding a suitable location inside for such a large enclosure. Those of you who have seen my RackIt based enclosures build will know the type of setup I typically do http://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/212641-Enclosure-wall/page1

Unfortunately the current keeper wants it gone ASAP, hence arranging for this weekend to collect.

I'm more than capable of adding a heat source to an external enclosure, so provided this is done would there be any other main concerns?

The other option I have it to put one of my High Yellow Diamond Pythons outside, but I really do not want to take the risk of it being stolen.

I'd be concerned with overnight temp consistency in W Sydney, as well as a constant day temp adequete for a Bredli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back