Advice for Shedding process

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferris123

Reaction score
Hi, I am a first time snake owner looking for some advice for my 2.5 mth old Woma pythons shed.. I got my Donald when he was just over 1 month old and he had his first shed with me 2 weeks later and it took 6 days from beginning to end (whole shed with his poop in the skin and an even bigger one smeared over his hide). This current shed he entered into on the 23rd of
March, 23 days after the last shed finished. It has been 11 days so was getting a bit worried so just now checked his enclosure and found a hard white poo but no shed. My question is this.......Has he already shed but has somehow eaten it? Or is he still in shed and is just taking a bit longer? Do snakes only poop when they are actually losing that old shin or can they go during? Confused as this is different from the first experience...

Hey mate,

Im not an expert by any means so take what I say with a grain of salt but I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think there's any correlation with shedding and poo and I also think it's unlikely that he's eaten his shed since I've heard its not very common for snakes to do that. I think the most likely answer is his shed is just taking a little longer, I've noticed with my spotted that the time it can take them to shed can vary quite a bit, especially if they're still growing. Also sometimes they can trick you by clearing up and losing that white haze, making them look like they're not in shed, and then shedding a few days later.

I wouldn't stress to much, as long as the shed comes off in one complete piece you're all good! If he's not too stressed and the humidity is all good you shouldn't have many problems.

Good luck!

Hey mate,

Im not an expert by any means so take what I say with a grain of salt but I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think there's any correlation with shedding and poo and I also think it's unlikely that he's eaten his shed since I've heard its not very common for snakes to do that. I think the most likely answer is his shed is just taking a little longer, I've noticed with my spotted that the time it can take them to shed can vary quite a bit, especially if they're still growing. Also sometimes they can trick you by clearing up and losing that white haze, making them look like they're not in shed, and then shedding a few days later.

I wouldn't stress to much, as long as the shed comes off in one complete piece you're all good! If he's not too stressed and the humidity is all good you shouldn't have many problems.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, I thought i was stressing about it too much as he is my first. I have gone over and checked his temps (34 - 29) and his humidity (65) just in case, will give him a few more days. I was expecting him to shed every few months and having him shed not even a month after shedding out the last time made me think i was over feeding him or doing something wrong

I know what it's like, snakes are so difficult to read its hard to know when somethings wrong, it's easy to worry. If 29 is your cool end temp I'd try get it down a little lower, maybe around 24-27 just so theres more of a gradient - again not an expert by any means so maybe the more experienced members can help out. Otherwise looks good to me, juvenile snakes grow so quickly that they can shed every few weeks and with those humidity levels he should have no problems shedding. Don't stress too much, sounds like you're doing great :)

Latest posts

Back