Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetiteWombok

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for some advice on a good species of snake for a first time snake owner. I've been doing research and I have many questions, not only about species but also their care and requirements. I want to make sure I know as much as I can before I take on such a responsibility.

What is a good species for a first-time owner? I do like the look of jungle carpet pythons, could this species be an appropriate choice?

What time of year do most breeders sell their clutches? What age/level of development will they be at? Are there trusted breeders local to the Brisbane region? (I'm a local)

What size enclosure do they need at different stages of their life? When can I move them into an adult habitat? What material is better/makes them feel the most comfortable (glass,wood, etc.) Where did you source yours?

An estimate on the initial setup costs? Monthly/yearly maintenance costs of food, bedding, electricity etc?

Any other important information I should be aware of that I have forgotten?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, I want to make sure I am fully prepared and chokers full of knowledge so that I can give my snake the best I can. I am aware some of the answers can be found on the internet but I really wanted to get some advice from real people who have experience in caring for reptiles. :)

Many thanks!

Welcome to APS. You will get a lot replies, with a whole lot of different answers, regarding what type of snake. Really any type of antaresia, or most kinds of Morelia are fine. It more comes down to what you like, how big a snake you want, how much room you have for it, etc.
Do your research first, ask lots of questions, and get hold of a good snake book, to refer to. "A Guide to Australian pythons in Captivity" is a good one, but there are others.
Most people keep young/juvenile snakes in plastic tubs, commonly called click clacks, with a heat source underneath. That way you don't have to worry about an enclosure for about a year.

Welcome to APS. You will get a lot replies, with a whole lot of different answers, regarding what type of snake. Really any type of antaresia, or most kinds of Morelia are fine. It more comes down to what you like, how big a snake you want, how much room you have for it, etc.
Do your research first, ask lots of questions, and get hold of a good snake book, to refer to. "A Guide to Australian pythons in Captivity" is a good one, but there are others.
Most people keep young/juvenile snakes in plastic tubs, commonly called click clacks, with a heat source underneath. That way you don't have to worry about an enclosure for about a year.
I agree. Choose one you like then do abit of research on them:size, habitat, temperament, handling ect.
me personally love womas and she was my first snake. I just kept her in a plastic box(as mentioned above) for awhile with just a hide, water bowel and shredded paper. I know some people(mainly breeders) keep them in tubs their whole lives but I prefer not to. My girl is currently just living in a second hand cabinet I got for twenty bucks then turned into an enclosure. It's pretty much the same as her old one just bigger with an extra hide and some things to slither around but I am planning on getting a bigger, better enclosure for her soon and setting it up abit better. In regards to the wood verses glass bit kind of depends on where you live and how warm it is ect. Wood has a lot better insulation than glass and holds heat better so it's good in colder areas but if your somewhere warm it doesn't really matter.

i don't really know a lot about arboreal snakes setups sorry as I'm more into terrestrial species...

@PetiteWombok, Do yourself a giant favour and buy the book (bible) "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" edited by Mike Swan and written by the most respected breeders and keepers of all Aust pythons, as far as i am concerned if you don't have this book before venturing into the wonderful world of Pythons you are doing yourself a giant dis-service, it will answer all the questions you have posed plus many many more you might not have thought about, After you have read this book cover to cover just about all the advice given you by the knowledgeable people here at APS will make sense, do not discount any advice given here no matter how silly or mundane it might sound in the beginning, as 99% of the people giving this information will have been through it all before. I will not give advice at this time as to species or setups as the book will cover it all and you will then be able to make informed decisions. Welcome to the wonderful and sometimes wacky world of Herps, i hope you enjoy your journey as much as we all have before you, good luck. :) ...................Ron

Last edited:
The book mentioned by Pinefamily is A+ work. And now, I'm gonna try and find the one you mentioned, Ron. He PetiteWombok, and welcome to APS.

The other members have pretty much beaten me to the punch on care...
If I were you I would get a Jungle. My first (and only) python so far is a cross between a jungle and a coastal (and I think something else). And he is amazing. He is incredibly mellow, and his colouring, especially post shed, is stunning! They also get up to a reasonable size, and are easy to care for.

Good luck, and have a nice stay,
Herpo

[MENTION=36030]ronhalling[/MENTION] that's the other book I was trying to remember. And it is sitting on our bookshelf too, lol. My only excuse is it was late at night.

Thank you all for the welcome and advice! I've found myself a copy of those two books mentioned, Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons and A Guide to Australian pythons in Captivity and they should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Well done on doing the research before you buy a python.

Honestly, I'd go to a few pet shops (not for purchasing) to see a few snakes, handle them, see what you like the look of.

My first snake was a Murray Darling Python (who was already 5 foot and an adult) and he has been the best snake, he taught me (and still does) a lot about snake keeping, by trail and error, as well as being the most placid python to handle and look after. He's been handled by 3 year olds (under supervision) and has never attempted to bite in the 3 years I've owned him.

Do you want a big python, small, medium? Do you want an adult or a hatchling, juvenile etc? All things to think of. Like most have already said, for a hatchling, you only need a small plastic tub (click clack) with heat mat under 1/3 of it (with a working thermostat, this is a must), a hide in both the cool and warm end (this can be as simple as an empty toilet roll, or the cardboard box that light bulbs come in, a sturdy water bowl, something to climb like plastic trellis, or a few wooden rods and paper towel for substrate etc, very easy to set one of these up properly (if you do a search on the forum, for Click Clack) you'll come up with loads of info about them.

While you wait for your books to arrive, have a read of the Doc Roc articles on Reptile Husbandry (highly recommend reading the first 3 and number 10) really well written, simple to follow, very easy to read, and also gives you tips on different types of snakes and their care....I'll put the link below.

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm

And have a look to find out which licence you need to apply for, they can take up to 6 weeks to process in some states > https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/plants-animals/wildlife-permits/recreational-licence/

Once you know what type of snake you want, just come back and ask about where/who to buy from. Lots of good breeders out there, and some not so good. You want to end up with a healthy, disease free snake.

Thought I'd add the link on how to make a click clack tub for a hatchy.

https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/93266-Guide-to-build-a-click-clack-(dial-up-warning)

Last edited:
Honestly jungle pythons, especially hatchlings and juveniles are known for being a bit snappy and sometimes flighty
For a first reptile I'd suggest a Murray Darling, easily handled, they tend to be very calm snakes. They don't get as big as some species (coastals), but they are still bigger than jungles and anterisias (children's, spotteds and stimsons).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly jungle pythons, especially hatchlings and juveniles are known for being a bit snappy and sometimes flighty
That's just a generalisation. As I said, mine is as mellow as can be. And I think it comes down to the owner; ie how much the snake is disturbed and things like that. Mine was a full on b**** at first, biting anything that moved, but he then realised we meant no harm.

You're definitely right about the MD though. Handled some a few times, and they seem to constantly be oblivious to the fact that a giant is holding them...

That's just a generalisation. As I said, mine is as mellow as can be. And I think it comes down to the owner; ie how much the snake is disturbed and things like that. Mine was a full on b**** at first, biting anything that moved, but he then realised we meant no harm.

You're definitely right about the MD though. Handled some a few times, and they seem to constantly be oblivious to the fact that a giant is holding them...

I totally agree :)
I've raised 2 clutches of coastals and some are totally mellow, some are scared and nippy but that goes with size and handling :)
But I've meet more nasty jungles than good ones Hahahaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The books have arrived! The've answered most, if not all of my questions. I've decided to go with a jungle carpet python. In regards to issues with handling, I'm hoping that by getting a hatchy I can ensure it get's handled often enough to calm down as it ages!

Are there any breeders local to the Ipswich region? I am willing to travel further for a reputable breeder. I've also read in these books that hatching happens early december through to mid-march. Is this correct and if so, how long do breeders wait until the snakes are developed enough to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back