Advice please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyRose

Reaction score
Please be kind! I am trying to set everything right for her.
My carpet Python is 3 years old, about 5 long, slender and refuses to leave her hide. Her last last shed she was about 3-4 feet long. Fairly small her breeder said she would be small, and she’s always been quite slender. This shed she was 5 feet. I didn’t really notice how long she gotten bc She absolutely loves this one hide and basically refuses to leave it. I haven’t seen her come out for a few weeks. Except to do her shed. I’ve spot cleaned the enclosure and have changed her water daily.
My partner and I experience financial difficulty for a little bit and I had to feed her some weaner mice, I did this by feeding her one of these mice every 3-5 days to try and make up for the size and allow for easier digestion. She probably ate about 3 this way before I got her some fuzzy rats, realised that was also probably too small. Fed her one and waited a week and for her to pass before I got her some adult rats. She’s taken the adult rat now and it’s the second night.
Anyway I really want to actually take her out, I haven’t handled her in weeks and I want to make sure she’s healthy, fully switch out and disinfect her enclosure but she’s so interested in food, stuck in this hide and I can’t get her out of this feeding state. She isn’t hook trained. She thinks anything coming into the enclosure is food. She never used to strike and she would immediately switch off my hand but right now she won’t. She went from a perfectly calm and chill snake to just constantly in feeding mode. I’m fine to take a bite if I absolutely need to but I don’t want to cause any unnecessary stress to her. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how I can calm her down enough to take her out again? How do I take her out of a tricky hide? Would she still be hungry I realised I may have accidentally been under feeding her she was on hopper rats before the weaner mice and have been trying to rectify the situation. Can I still hook train her?

My carpet Python is 3 years old, about 5 long, slender and refuses to leave her hide. Her last last shed she was about 3-4 feet long. Fairly small her breeder said she would be small, and she’s always been quite slender. This shed she was 5 feet. I didn’t really notice how long she gotten bc She absolutely loves this one hide and basically refuses to leave it. I haven’t seen her come out for a few weeks. Except to do her shed. I’ve spot cleaned the enclosure and have changed her water daily.
My partner and I experience financial difficulty for a little bit and I had to feed her some weaner mice, I did this by feeding her one of these mice every 3-5 days to try and make up for the size and allow for easier digestion. She probably ate about 3 this way before I got her some fuzzy rats, realised that was also probably too small. Fed her one and waited a week and for her to pass before I got her some adult rats. She’s taken the adult rat now and it’s the second night.
Anyway I really want to actually take her out, I haven’t handled her in weeks and I want to make sure she’s healthy, fully switch out and disinfect her enclosure but she’s so interested in food, stuck in this hide and I can’t get her out of this feeding state. She isn’t hook trained. She thinks anything coming into the enclosure is food. She never used to strike and she would immediately switch off my hand but right now she won’t. She went from a perfectly calm and chill snake to just constantly in feeding mode. I’m fine to take a bite if I absolutely need to but I don’t want to cause any unnecessary stress to her. I was wondering if anyone has any idea how I can calm her down enough to take her out again? How do I take her out of a tricky hide? Would she still be hungry I realised I may have accidentally been under feeding her she was on hopper rats before the weaner mice and have been trying to rectify the situation. Can I still hook train her?
Don't handle at 3 days, after eating or in shed cycle but u really need to handle her more, when going into her house let her know its you, flatten your hand and put in front of her, let her smell you, she shouldn't bite once she knows your not food. Really should be feeding large rats and should be bigger for age, my boy just turned 3 and is 2.6 mtrs, don't wanna sound mean but if can't afford food and don't have time to handle maybe consider giving to some one who can
Take her outside to get sun and walk around with her but not after feeds

first up she is not 5' long because the skin is, what most people don't realize is the skin wraps around every scale. So she is probably somewhere between 4 -4 1/2 foot long.
Second YES you can hook train her, I have 2 ways of handling my pythons.
If it's dinner day I just offer food and wave it in their face
If I want to handle I rub them with the hook then they know it's not dinner day and they are calm

Hi AmyRose.

Your snake is hungry. You'll find that it's been staying in it's hide because it hasn't got the energy or inclination to move around.

Whether you get it out using a hook or not It's not going to settle down while it's in this state so maintain feeding it adult rats regularly (I'd be giving it one a week to start with} and after a couple of feeds offer it 2 or 3 at the one time.

You don't need to spot clean unless it defecates. Nor is there a need to change the water daily as disturbing it to change the water on a daily basis, especially if it's got no energy or hungry, will just stress it out.

There's no real need to disinfect the enclosure either. A good wash down with warm water should do the trick.

Give it a few good feeds and some time to settle down and then try using the hook to get it out and handle it. Once it feels comfortable again you can just try opening the enclosure to allow it to come out on it's own and then slowly approach it and try gently handling it.

Snake sheds are roughly 1/3 longer than the actual length ot the snake but in saying that a 3 year old Carpet should be up around the 1 1/2 to 2 metre mark.

Hope this helps

George.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back