Age for breeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy86

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering what people think about the age a beardie should be for breeding?

I have a 3year old female and a friend has a lage but only 10month old boy and suggested breeding but i don;'t know, he seems very young, he is large, not as large as my girl, but what does everyone think?

cheers

kristy

well it doesn't matter too much about the age it's mostly about the size. if they look big enough then it should be ok.

imo females are the ones you got to be more carefull of. 3 years old is perfect! Like m_beardie said size is the biggest factor as your dont want do cause any internal harm to your loved ones. If they are of good size than go for it. I think males become sexually mature at around 9 months?

The thing you have to consider tho if you go ahead with it is incubation and tubs for the hatchlings as their could be quite a darn few!

Females should be at least two year no matter how big they are, doesn't matter so much with males but a smaller male may have a tough time if the female is too large, if there is a huge size difference they should be kept seperate in case she has a dislike to him.

thanks everyone, yeah i will have to see them together to sus out if the size difference is going to be a problem or not, have already started building a cage that can be seperated in to sections for the bubs and also breeding cocoroaches and growing salad!!
but what do people think of breeding in itself? is it worth it? I would love to see her lay fertilized eggs and watch the bubs hatch and grow, but is that enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back