Aggressive children's python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyh

Reaction score
Hello

So I've had this children's python for about 7 years now she is my only Python and lives in a large enclosure in my room. Recently she has become extremely aggressive lunging at me through the the glass, being active at weird times. She does quite a few strange things as well she is obviously very active at night as I'd expect but sometimes I can hear her repeatedly climbing up her branch and then falling off it, knocking over her water and climbing up the side of the glass. An example of her aggressive activity is: i was cleaning her cage and adding water (I keep her in a seperate smaller box when I'm doing so) and afterwards I handled her for a it before putting her back in her enclosure. When I finnaly decided it was time for to go back in she refused to let go of my arm which she does normally and then bit me as once I got her off she continued to attempt to lunge at me. Now all she ever does is stare at me.

things to know:

I'm currently fourteen having had her since I was 8 and because of the young age I started at I haven't always been great at caring for she did get septicemia which she has now made a full recovery from.

Because of her aggressiveness the only way I can change her water is waiting for her to go inside her hide hole and then blocking it off with a broad sticks so she won't lunge at me.

I could handle her more but I have constant exams and whenever I try to she lunges at me

I feed her once a week and also clean her cage about three to five days after. The mice I feed her are fuzzies which are baby mice with hair her bedding is newspaper and there can be a lot of noise in my room sometimes the temperature averages at 28.9 and we set up a heat keeper to keep the heat in during the winter.

Overall I'm really nervous she can often terrify me but I really enjoy having her a pet but I have no clue what to do
please help

If she's really eating fuzzy mice then she's probably starving!! How big is she?

Hello

So I've had this children's python for about 7 years now she is my only Python and lives in a large enclosure in my room. Recently she has become extremely aggressive lunging at me through the the glass, being active at weird times. She does quite a few strange things as well she is obviously very active at night as I'd expect but sometimes I can hear her repeatedly climbing up her branch and then falling off it, knocking over her water and climbing up the side of the glass. An example of her aggressive activity is: i was cleaning her cage and adding water (I keep her in a seperate smaller box when I'm doing so) and afterwards I handled her for a it before putting her back in her enclosure. When I finnaly decided it was time for to go back in she refused to let go of my arm which she does normally and then bit me as once I got her off she continued to attempt to lunge at me. Now all she ever does is stare at me.

things to know:

I'm currently fourteen having had her since I was 8 and because of the young age I started at I haven't always been great at caring for she did get septicemia which she has now made a full recovery from.

Because of her aggressiveness the only way I can change her water is waiting for her to go inside her hide hole and then blocking it off with a broad sticks so she won't lunge at me.

I could handle her more but I have constant exams and whenever I try to she lunges at me

I feed her once a week and also clean her cage about three to five days after. The mice I feed her are fuzzies which are baby mice with hair her bedding is newspaper and there can be a lot of noise in my room sometimes the temperature averages at 28.9 and we set up a heat keeper to keep the heat in during the winter.

Overall I'm really nervous she can often terrify me but I really enjoy having her a pet but I have no clue what to do
please help

Hi Mate,
without seeing your set up and knowing your keeping ability, and if the snake is in good health.........then the obvious reasons for the behaviour would be 1. to much heat, and 2. not enough food.

even the most placid of snakes will act just as you've described when underfed and kept warm. A 7 yr old childreni, even a stunted one, will get down adult mice, if not a 60-70gm rat.

The first thing that strikes me (lol) is you simply are not feeding her enough and shes hungry. A 7 year old snake should not be on fuzzy mice, thats ridiculous. She should be on adult mice or maybe even small rats by now.

Up her food size first and see if that changes.

Thank you all i have fed her bought her weainers yesterday and that seems to have done the trick

Get her onto rats by following the weaner mouse with a fuzzie rat. Thaw them is the same water to allow cross scenting.

Get her onto rats by following the weaner mouse with a fuzzie rat. Thaw them is the same water to allow cross scenting.

Yeah up her food size more to maybe a juvinile rat even.

- - - Updated - - -

YUou want to see a nice big bulge in her tummy parts :D

Friends of ours bought their first snake (a hatchling MD), and were given poor advice from the shop. As a result, they had an MD that was striking out constantly. After we helped them to get it onto bigger food, it calmed right down.

Friends of ours bought their first snake (a hatchling MD), and were given poor advice from the shop. As a result, they had an MD that was striking out constantly. After we helped them to get it onto bigger food, it calmed right down.

I wouldn't rely on anything a freaking pet shop tells you. All they want is money. (Most of them anyway)

Hi Beans,
I couldn't agree more. We weren't even aware they had bought the MD; they had a bird-eating spider as far as I knew, but it had died. Once we got the phone call, it didn't take long to sort it out, luckily.
When this shop was starting out with reptiles, we used to go there, and help them with advice etc. However, it didn't take long to realize they were only in it for the money unfortunately. Continual bad advice to customers, and poor keeping practices were enough for us to steer clear. Now we warn anyone even thinking about going there.

How's life in Brisbane, by the way?

Brisbane is freaking cold atm. I have to double doona and wear clothes to bed lol. As a result freya has decided she wants to stop eating for the moment which I put down to the weather. My stimpsons is still eating like a cow though.

I mean don';t get me wrong there are some really great shops out there, thankfully I found one close to me. I eavesdropped on one of the staff-customer conversations and she was very knowledgeable and very helpful, and quickly corrected all the misinformation the OTHER pet shops had given her. So theres still hope I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back