Al Hajar Mountains, Oman. Oct2013

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
These are photos from the Al Hajar Mountains near Bahla and Nizwa, Oman. This was actually our second stop on the trip. We drove to Bahla from Al Ain, UAE. The drive and border crossing took about 4 hours. It will be faster before long when the construction of a new freeway is complete.

Map of the route from Al Ain.
map1_zps90ad0d4d.jpg

Map of the mountains that we visited near Bahla. (C) Jebel Shams, (B) Jebel Akhdar
map2_zps98d6e7d6.jpg

I have visited this area twice before and wanted to show Ted a cave that I found on my first visit. A small stream pours from a crevice in the cave. It seems to attract lots of invertebrates and as a result, many geckos at night. We sometimes had as many as 10 geckos in view at the same time. One annoying thing in the cave was the presence of wasp nests. I was stung by a wasp on my last visit.

On this trip, access was more difficult due to the high water levels in wadi. We had to walk upstream to find and area where we could cross.
habitat12_zps6dcfc498.jpg

habitat13_zpsbe02c03c.jpg

The top of the "gecko cave" is visible here behind the trees:
habitatgeckocave1_zps82a7d78c.jpg

Asaccus platyrhynchus. These were the most common gecko in the cave and on rocks in the wadi.

Females have white tails.
Asaccusplatyrhynchus1_zps84738c6b.jpg

Asaccusplatyrhynchus3_zps083e5ba3.jpg

Asaccusplatyrhynchus2_zpsa8acb285.jpg

Asaccusplatyrhynchus6_zps91f5dcca.jpg

Asaccusplatyrhynchus7_zps346831da.jpg

Males have yellow tails. I love the beautiful pastel colours.
Asaccusplatyrhynchus10_zps94fdd92d.jpg

Asaccusplatyrhynchus5_zpsc3972c76.jpg

Fan-footed Gecko (Ptyodactylus orlovi), a recent split from P. hasselquistii): They were harder to approach on this trip due to the deeper water in the cave and wadi.
Pytodactylus1_zpsff8df012.jpg

This one was emerging from a crevice. They have such incredible toes!
Pytodactylus4_zpsc2620452.jpg

Ptyodactylus orlovi eggs ? I've read that the geckos glue their eggs to the walls of caves or crevices. I am not certain about this one but it appears to be a shell rather than a spider egg sac.
Pytodactyluseggs_zpsca5813fb.jpg

Hemidactylus hajarensis? These were big geckos and we saw them both in the wadi as well as higher up on the Jebel Akhdar road.
Hemidactylussp3_zpsa40a9f6c.jpg

Hemidactylussp4_zps48b23c25.jpg

Hemidactylussp1_zps5d61d565.jpg

Here are a couple fo shots of the hills near Bahla. They are dry and support a few small Acacia-like trees. It seemed like all plants here had thorns.
habitat10_zps6e55e145.jpg

habitat11_zps890e08f9.jpg

We visited this wadi near Bahla. It is always good for birds and a few lizards. Milkweeds are enormus here and may grow to 2m+ in height.
habitat9_zpsa6ebe2da.jpg

habitat8_zpsd68caa33.jpg

habitat1_zps04c3f9d6.jpg

The wadi was good for birds and we saw several species. In this shot, Ted is confirming the identity of a Lesser Whitethroat.
Ted1_zpsf2d5eb87.jpg

Adult Bosk's Fringe-toed Lizard (Acanthodactylus boskianus). We saw a few of these in the wadi.
Acanthodactylussp3_zps2bffb8a3.jpg

Acanthodactylus sp. This lizard was only slightly smaller than the Bosk's so I think that it is another species of Acanthodactylus rather than a juvenile Bosk's. We saw several in the wadi.
Acanthodactylussp1a_zpsd7d999e4.jpg

Acanthodactylussp1b_zps61ec648a.jpg

The morning was hot so this lizard making good use of shade:
Acanthodactylussp1d_zpsb9e09269.jpg

Common Tigers (Danaus chrysippus) were numerous at milkweeds in the wadi. They are relatives of Monarch Butterflies and their catepillars looked similar. Common Tigers are a wide-ranging species that also occur in Australia.
butterflyCommonTiger1_zpsd326ea82.jpg

... flowering milkweed that attracted Common Tigers and others.

Yellow Pansy (Junonia hierta). This is a beautiful species in flight with mostly blue and yellow upper wings.
butterflyarab1b_zps323c3f83.jpg

Little Tiger Pierrot (Tarucus balkanicus): common, tiny lycaenids.
butterflypierrot1_zps974fdb80.jpg

Blue-spotted Arab (Colotis phisadia): these were common, small pierids.
butterflyBlue-spottedArabColotisphisadia_zps873f4e28.jpg

butterflyarab2_zps84fa0d53.jpg

Caper White (Anphaeis aurota). Fairly numerous.
butterflybellornis1_zpsc8df9a9a.jpg

Thorn-tree Blue (Azanus moriqua):
butterflylycaenid1_zps4d74bdda.jpg

Brandt's Hedgehog. We found this hedgehog on the road one night. It was bigger than I expected and was nearly the size of an Echidna. It could run fast but eventually took refuge beneath this thorny tree. It hissed at Ted when he approached for photos.
BrandtsHedgehog_zps59cab4a6.jpg

Jebel Akhdar

We visited the lookout at 2000m. I've seen a number of interesting birds here. On this visit, we found several pairs of Cricket Warblers, Eurasian Rock Thrush, Blue Rock Thrush, Desert Larks, Long-billed Pipits, Egyptian Vultures and others.
jebelakhdar1_zps7898b647.jpg

Aloes grew on this hillside near the lookout:
habitat5_zps9e2df42f.jpg

aloe1_zps8a24dac6.jpg

Milkweeds were also big here and some had a trunk like a small tree.
habitat6_zpsc8f86510.jpg

Jebel Akhdar lookout was a good place for Rock Semaphore Geckos (Pristurus rupestris). They have interesting tails with fringe-like scales.
RockSemaphoreGecko2_zps4de40bb3.jpg

RockSemaphoreGecko1a_zpsc2873c94.jpg

We also found two Bar-tailed Semaphore Geckos (Pristurus celerrimus) on the slope with the agaves. They unfortunately remained in deep shade where they were hard to photograph.
Bar-tailedSemaphoreGeckoPristuruscelerrimus2_zps195230bd.jpg

Bar-tailedSemaphoreGeckoPristuruscelerrimus1_zpsde1cf04b.jpg

Jebel Shams

This is a view of the mountains from the base of the Jebel Shams road:
habitat4_zpsae2ba866.jpg

We passed these old ruins. I suppose that this area looks much as it did when people lived in those rock houses.
JebelShamsroad1_zps2ad7226c.jpg

... old fortification and walls on the hillside
JebelShamsroad2_zpscc60644b.jpg

We found this large agama at the base of Jebel Shams. I think that it was a Pseudotrapelus jensvindumi, one of the recent splits of Sinai (Blue) Rock Agama.
SinaiAgamaPseudotrapelussinaitus1_zpsdbfeb804.jpg

... habitat
SinaiAgamaPseudotrapelussinaitushabitat_zps391557e4.jpg

habitat3_zps9ff1852d.jpg

"Ephedra"-like plant. This plant reminded us of Ephedra in the deserts of California.
plantephedralike_zps2794ce93.jpg

This agama lived in the rocky habitat above. Another Pseudotrapelus jensvindumi?
SinaiAgamaPseudotrapelussinaitus2a_zpsa6859333.jpg

Rock Semaphore Gecko (Pristurus rupestris)
RockSemaphoreGecko3_zpse26267cc.jpg

One of the Greylings (Hipparchia parisatis). I was surprised to see these shade-loving satyrinae here on the barren rocky slopes.
butterflysatyrinae1_zps0bca20d5.jpg

Ypthima sp.? Another surprise. It usually settled in the shade of crevices or beneath rock ledges.
butterflysatyrinae2_zpsebf93fe0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back