Alternative frog foods

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dihsmaj

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
What are things I can feed my frogs that are roughly 6cm, other than crickets/woodies?

I'll try some moths. I've bought some fly pupae (live).
Also, when I put mealworms in my frog tank, they end up drowning, so I don't feed them to them.

Place your mealworms in a shallow glazed bowl or similar that they cannot climb out of but the frogs can readily eat from. No cardio-resuscitation required!

Some of the things you can feed them include…Grasshoppers & locusts; butterflies & moths; beetles & weevils; earwigs; caterpillars (e.g. Woolly Bear); spiders (avoid Redbacks);slaters & pill bugs; small snails and slugs; flies & maggots; termites; silkworms.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome question - and now I have another, more newbie question to add if that's okay. I have Spotted Marsh Frogs (and am about to get Brown Tree Frogs to live with them); they're currently eating crickets dusted/filled with gutload. Is it alright to give them garden-caught bugs of the sorts listed above (ie. will they get parasites/diseases from them?), and which sorts of insects/crawlies are best to give them optimal nutritional variation?

Ah, cool; thanks. My garden's totally organic, but I doubt the neighbours' are. Best to play it safe.

You do need to make sure that the frogs are all of approximately the same size.
Otherwise the larger individuals will likely make meal of any small enough to fit in their mouths.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back