Angel Fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ness

Reaction score
Have a couple of questions for people who have angel fish and who have successfully bred them.

I have a breeding pair of angels, unfortunatly i cant put anymore angels in the tank with them, i use to have 7 but the breeding pair killed them off, kinda sucks because they were the last addition to the community and the others were a couple years old...

Anyway the angels have started breeding and i would like to get information on successfully raising fry? also how do i go about separting the eggs from the community tank.??

Thanks.

We used to keep a few Angels. They didn't breed, though... Actually I think our male killed the female. But we've bred a few fish, and my experience is that unless you want babies living in your filter you'll need to get them out soon. As for getting the eggs out, I don't know how to go about that without damaging them.

What about getting one of those fish breeder things [Oh, my vocabulary is so advanced, isn't it!?] and covering the eggs with that until they hatch? As you probably don't know what I mean, it's like a little mesh box type thing with a plastic frame that sits in your fish tank that you can keep pregnant fish in until they give birth or lay their eggs or whatever.

hope I've helped, although I don't think I have >_< lol.

hehe, you did alright

problem is i have set up areas where they can lay the eggs but for some odd reason they perfer to lay the eggs on the filter, so for the time being i had to shut it off till i can work something out...

I have a breeding pair of Angels that used to lay on the filter.I had to change the tank I had them in and the filter system. I put a big broad leafed plant in the tank and they lay on that now - much easier, I just remove the leaf off once they have layed and put a small airstone in to airate the eggs.

hi

i work in a pet shop as the fish person, there is nothing you can do about the fish killing the others as they are very aggressive when wanting to mate. when the fish have laid there eggs you need to wait fo them to hatch before you move them, once they have done this suck the babies out with a tube (off gravel cleaner). and put them into a tank with no gravel and only a sponge filter as they can feed of this, feeding the fish 4 times a day and doing water changes about 10% everyday will stop ammonia from arrising do this till they are big enough to sell.

by the way you will find fish will lay there eggs near the filter beacuse it is the cleanest part of the tank

mjhjlt

alot of breeders use pvc pipe for them to lay on, that is then removed and put into a tank or bucket with an air stone untill hatching which takes 2-3days from memory. Need to use a very fine food for the fry, not sure if the commercial fry food is good enough so google it and you should fine things to culture.

I used to use a piece of roofing slate, the adults would clean the slate, lay the eggs & then they can be removed to a seperate tank, (use the same water from the original tank & top that tank back up after)
I used to put a little bit of meth blue in the water just to keep fungus at bay, then you have an airstone near the eggs so that theres constant water flow (just a little..you dont want a raging torrent) normally the adults would fan the eggs & remove duff ones themselves....after about 3 days the eggs hatch and you can feed them on newley hatched brineshrimp.
Personally id seperate the adults into a seperate tank for breeding & leave them to it, most cichlids are great parents, trouble is, angelfish have been captive bred for such a long time (eggs taken away when laid) most adults just cant seem to take eggs through the full term ..........but give it a go....you should find loads of info on breeding angelfish on the net.
best ones i ever bred were altum angels...stunning fish that can get up the size of a dinner plate & fins up to 3ft long (top-bottom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back