Another colour mutation- Painted turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expansa1

Reaction score
This season we've hatched out approximately 95 Painted turtles from 10 clutches from the same pair of Painted turtles. I have never heard or known of any other species laying this many clutches in any given season.

Obviously being worried about her over doing it, I have separated them and put him in the sin bin on a number of occasions to give her a rest, but she keeps producing clutches. Normally 1 clutch hatches as she is laying another one and sometimes there are 2 clutches in the incubator at any given time. She is extremely healthy and her condition is excellent! She breeds in a 5ft tank and when we see her scratching on her turtle basking area we take her out and put her in a tub of river sand. She commences laying immediately. Only last night she laid another 10 eggs.

Below is a pic of 3 from her last clutch and a pic of a yellow colour morph Painted turtle without any red colouration beside one of it's siblings. This year has been incredible with twin hypomelanistic Krefft's turtles, this yellow colour morph Painted turtle and the 2 headed turtle;. Must be the water!
3remainingPainteds-1.jpg

pic007-2.jpg

pic006.jpg

thats awsome craig, wanna bottle some of that water and send it down my way;)

as a rough estimation how many eggs all up have u had layed/hatched from all species rounded up?

Thats amazing number of eggs, you must be doing something right

Very nice looking turtles there! nice going, and it sounds like you had a fantastic year with these guys

quick questions... can you get these guys on a standard QLD licence, or do you need a special one, and how much do painteds generally go for? seen these a couple of times before, and i believe theyre my favourite aussie turtle in appearances, and wouldnt mind getting one at some stage..

congrats craig awesome looking painteds

Thanks everyone! Painteds are my favourite turtle. Great pets and very interactive. Love lying on the lounge watching their antics. Beats the TV unless theres a good show on Animal Planet.

Cheers,

Craig

They look awesome craig, will you be selling any of these?

They don't call them painted for nothing ;)

That's awesome Craig! Is that a tiny bit of red i see on its lip? The turtle looks to be almost completely lacking red pigment, which would suggest it could possibly be anerythristic, but that tiny bit on the lip might suggest otherwise. In any case that is an awesome hatchy and no doubt something exciting for the future! Congratulations!

Very nice looking turtles there! nice going, and it sounds like you had a fantastic year with these guys

quick questions... can you get these guys on a standard QLD licence, or do you need a special one, and how much do painteds generally go for? seen these a couple of times before, and i believe theyre my favourite aussie turtle in appearances, and wouldnt mind getting one at some stage..

They are a restricted species BUT you can keep 2 of a restricted species on a normal recreational wildlife licence. So the short answer is yes, you are allowed to keep 2 of them.

They sell for $200 each. Mine are the most colourful ones available. Some people are selling them for $175 and they look more like a Krefft's turtle than a Painted, without any red markings at all.

That's awesome Craig! Is that a tiny bit of red i see on its lip? The turtle looks to be almost completely lacking red pigment, which would suggest it could possibly be anerythristic, but that tiny bit on the lip might suggest otherwise. In any case that is an awesome hatchy and no doubt something exciting for the future! Congratulations!

You could be right. I'll keep an eye on his chin strap to see if the red develops.

They look awesome craig, will you be selling any of these?

Yes, all of the Painteds are for sale. I have 10 that I keep myself and all the others are for sale.

Cheers,

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back