another diamond in the rough

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cashy

Reaction score
hey guys.
im thinking about putting my diamonds together, hows the best way to go about this and can they feed together

Yeah you can as long as they both have access to comfortable singular basking sites and hides so if they want alone time they can get it. When you feed them watch until they have finished eating so you can keep them apart.

are you aiming to breed them, or just putting them together, for the pleasure of it?
keeping them together, is different do breeding them. if it is for breeding purposes, they are being introduced, and pulled apart, every now and then, 1 week together, 1 week off, or however you like. this should hopefully help them not to get sick of each other, making it a bit more interesting for them.

also, they are put together throughout the cooler months, for breeding, then they should be kept apart, independently throughout the warmer months. and they wont need to be fed, as they will be cooled, and hibernating.

if it is for the pleasure, and to keep it down to one enclosure, that should not be an excuse.
keeping snakes together, includes territorial issues, and can make feeding a problem.
and the day you put them together, you can come back, and just see one fat alone snake..
its best not to, as interesting, or pleasing, you should not. territorial issues, feeding and they may just get down right sick of each other.
also, an enclosure, usually housing one snake, wont be efficient to the snakes husbandary requirements and its health and well-being.
so i recommend that you dont keep them together, many others here would recommend this also.

Keeping diamonds together is fine. i keep all my diamonds in small groups all year round and only separate sexes when im cooling down for breeding.
Just make sure you separate when feeding. eg put each one in its own feeding container until there both fed then just put them back in there enclosure together.
Ive done this for many years and never had a problem.

are you aiming to breed them, or just putting them together, for the pleasure of it?
keeping them together, is different do breeding them. if it is for breeding purposes, they are being introduced, and pulled apart, every now and then, 1 week together, 1 week off, or however you like. this should hopefully help them not to get sick of each other, making it a bit more interesting for them.

also, they are put together throughout the cooler months, for breeding, then they should be kept apart, independently throughout the warmer months. and they wont need to be fed, as they will be cooled, and hibernating.

if it is for the pleasure, and to keep it down to one enclosure, that should not be an excuse.
keeping snakes together, includes territorial issues, and can make feeding a problem.
and the day you put them together, you can come back, and just see one fat alone snake..
its best not to, as interesting, or pleasing, you should not. territorial issues, feeding and they may just get down right sick of each other.
also, an enclosure, usually housing one snake, wont be efficient to the snakes husbandary requirements and its health and well-being.
so i recommend that you dont keep them together, many others here would recommend this also.

Do you keep diamonds trouser? Only asking because if you don't or never have you probably shouldn't answer this thread.
Diamonds are different in many ways to other carpets. The males don't battle, and I have never seen territorial behaviour between them. I keep sometimes up to 4 diamonds together at any one time, in one avairy and 3 in another, and feed them all at the same time. These animals range in size from 4ft to 8ft and as long as a few simple rules are adhered to during feeding time I don't ever have a problem.
Like I said, if they have enough room so they can all get the necessary requirements that they individually need they will be fine.

im considering breeding them i just want to see if they get along alright together. Im not worried about only having one enclosure, Ive got 5, thanks for the advise on taking them apart each week I didnt know that, how long should I do that for.

Hey cement, what are the few simple rules? I'm also wanting to house a few in an aviary...

I have a hook made from a golf club with a nice rubber handle. This is the only end I use on my snakes (except in extreme circumstances) it is a great tool for keeping pythons seperated. A light touch on the nose is all it takes for one to stop moving forward and another to make it retreat.This is all i need to do. i have a couple of slow feeders that will stuff around and look all about before finally eating, by this time the gutsy ones have already finished and start looking for more, so I either shove another rat in their mouth or push them back to keep them away from the ones that are eating. The rules are don't leave them alone while feeding! Stay and observe, usually I don't even need to be in the cage with them but I always watch in case i need to grab the hook and go in.

im considering breeding them i just want to see if they get along alright together. Im not worried about only having one enclosure, Ive got 5, thanks for the advise on taking them apart each week I didnt know that, how long should I do that for.

Rather then take them apart, throw in another male. Snakes are very gentle creatures with each other where love is concerned.

when do I take them apart or can they stay together thoughout the whole time of breeding

do u mean separate for cooling or during breeding introductions.
Diamonds should of been separated and began there cooling end of april- early may and should be still cooling unless folks are having a go at getting em started early lol.
Personally i would try breeding introductions till august-sept.

when do I take them apart or can they stay together thoughout the whole time of breeding

Ask yourself "what do they do in the wild?"
Learning this will give you the best chance at breeding.

thanx alot everyone,ive still got abit of research to do,but all your ideas and input has been a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back