Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justdriftnby

Reaction score
I recently bought a 41 Acre property in Dixons Creek north east vic (near King Lake), unfortunatly the black saturday bushfires desimated the property but as nature does its all coming back, Plenty of frogs, Lizzards and even a couple of monitors so far. We have seen Red Bellies around the dam as well but I am having trouble identifying this little fella.. It was only small say 15-20cm and my first thought was a tiger snake but thought I would ask.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 290
It is a Small Eyed Snake, odd to see them out during the day, was it under something ?

I didnt even think of them, and after looking u my field guide it makes sence, it was in a pile of bricks left over after the property burnt down, I just baged it and moved it further down the block away from where we have set up camp

Wow you have a really nice property, both small eyed snakes and rebelly black snakes are quite hard to find near the melbourne region, I have to look really hard to find both these species.

I mainly see the red bellies late at night by torch, that was the first small eyed snake I have ever seen, it was very placid compared to the tiger snakes we get around melton. We camped there for the first time last weekend and unfortunatly my camera battery was flat, also saw many roos and rabbits as well as a fox. wlii be going back this weekend again.

it is not common for Red bellys to be active at night and if they are its usually a hot night,there are a few nocturnal species people get confused with red bellys,especially small eyeds and Golden crowned snakes,many a time ive been called to a vet to pick up a "red belly" which turns out to be a small elapid species such as these two snakes.

I reckon your red bellies are small eyeds like the one above. These are actually quite common around kinglake

Actually I'd have to say that the Small-eyed Snakes we get around the house on warm nights here near Port Macquarie are nasty little buggers compared to the RBBs which are pretty civilised by comparison. I'm occasionally made aware of the Small-eyeds presence by their hissing, especially if they're on the veranda in the open and feel threatened. Not sure if I'd like to be bitten by one...

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back