Antaresia perthensis - Anthill python - Pygmy python locales????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damo77

Reaction score
I am finding it hard to unearth very much detailed info regarding Antaresia perthensis. Does anyone know if locales exist for these little guys?? If they do, does anyone know what they are and how they are represented in perthensis.
Thanks
Damian

Given they have all been sourced illegally from WA and smuggled interstate I think you might be up against trying to ascertain locality data. I suspect most collectors were primarily motivated by money and would have passed on minimal information about how or where the snakes were acquired.

Blue

Given they have all been sourced illegally from WA and smuggled interstate I think you might be up against trying to ascertain locality data. I suspect most collectors were primarily motivated by money and would have passed on minimal information about how or where the snakes were acquired.

Blue

Is that so? Pygmy Pythons

Wow I had no idea they were smuggled. Have you got some info on that Blue? I tried Googling it but all I got was everyone's favourite douche bag's website and I'm not really interested in getting any "information" from him.

All I think Bluey was getting at, is that because there has been very few legal exports out of this state of this species (because of W.A restrictive keeping regulations), that the majority of Pygmy pythons were originally smuggled out and as a consequence locality specific information would be unlikely made public.

If my memory hasn't faded, I recall someone from the DEC once telling me that there has only been one single private export of this species to a person in S.A. Those ones were progeny of wild collected specimens that originated from Mt Augusta (south from the Pilbara)
There has been exports to scientific institutions though (4 specimens we actually caught and supplied for this reason under permit ).

Last edited:
There was a guy advertising Ord river locality but people I talk to say you dont find them there. I am sure like any locality there are good and bad looking individuals. There seems to be a lot of variation in appearance of the Perthensis I have seen.

Its in the Kimberley near Wyndham. Must of been a massive range extension. I believe there are records closer to Perth than there are of them near the Ord River.

But as Bluetongue said, there is unlikely to be much information regarding locals as they were either smuggled out of the state or they all originated from a couple of legally collected individuals.

I must admit that I was unaware of any legal exports, so thanks for the correction there Dave. As I understand it, those that have left the state under scientific license have not contributed animals to the pet trade.

They are found from north of Port Hedland, from along the edge of the Great Sandy Desert south as far as Mullewa, which is inland a bit from Geraldton. The main population, however, it centred on the Pilbara region. The name comes from the fact that the holotype in the WAM was incorrectly labelled as “location Perth”. So the fellow that described it called it “perthensis”. The southern half of the population does not occur along the coast, only inland.

So even as the crow flies the Ord River location is out by an absolute minimum 1000 km plus. I believe it would be fair to conclude that the locality data of that particular vendor is unreliable.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back