Any members 65+?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonkey78

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm an Irish Master's student (in my 40s!) doing a study on how non-traditional animals can contribute to well-being and I am looking for people 65+ who own any type of pet other than a dog or a cat. Most research on how pets benefit our lives focus only the two most common pets and I wanted to look at how other creatures can also be great companions. Most research also focuses on people in their 20s and that's why I wanted to speak with older people.

If you, or anyone you know qualifies and would be willing to have a chat with me (online or via email) about your unusual pets please send me a message.

Thank you!

Cathy

Hey mate! That's a cool study your doing, but I'm not sure if there are any people 65+ on here, and most people who keep reptiles on this forum don't really keep them as "pets" normally it's for viewing or breeding, so I don't think reptiles will really contribute to well-being the same that dogs do. But I hope your study goes well! Good luck! :)

I think you'll be surprised. There's two extremes of keeping reptiles, the young, and then the older people, who've settled in life and are in a position to get the pet that they really wanted for a long time but life was in the way. I myself am 33 and had to wait until now to be in a place in my life where I could get one (probably more in future) as not moving around heaps anymore and have stability to commit to care for the full life of the animal. In doing so my Dad who is 69 also got his first and he has wanted one for YEARS but again wanted to travel and enjoy his retirement but now is settling down locally and wanted one. They're great for older people, not super needy, but companionship so you're not just home alone there's another living creature with you. Relatively simple care once all set up and if you 'forget' to feed him for a day it's not an issue in the slightest. (Don't fear he has a nice calendar stuck on front of his fridge that he marks when it's fed and shed etc and I obviously come check regularly).

Nice guys!! I didn't mean to come across rude when I said people don't keep them as pets, I just meant reptiles probably don't give the same affection a pet like a dog would, but we still love them even if they don't love us! :)

I'm almost 43. I got my snake because my son was afraid of cats and dogs - his words were something along the lines of, "Dogs and cats bite and scratch. Snakes are just cute". And after having my little guy for almost 4 years, I'm a total convert. Reptiles are very rewarding pets.

Hi Everyone,

I'm an Irish Master's student (in my 40s!) doing a study on how non-traditional animals can contribute to well-being and I am looking for people 65+ who own any type of pet other than a dog or a cat. Most research on how pets benefit our lives focus only the two most common pets and I wanted to look at how other creatures can also be great companions. Most research also focuses on people in their 20s and that's why I wanted to speak with older people.

If you, or anyone you know qualifies and would be willing to have a chat with me (online or via email) about your unusual pets please send me a message.

Thank you!

Cathy
Hi Cathy, I am 66 and have 7 Pythons and 3 Lizards apart from 3 cats. I love my scale babies and believe that I am the only person to be allowed a therapy Python whilst in Hospital. I had to spend some time there and needed a lift in my spirits. Snakes are wonderful pets, I even take one to see Santa for Christmas, it raises money to support the RSPCA and I get a lot of interest from self confessed Snake haters and they walk away not hating them and understanding them more.

Noel

Attachments

• 20210503_133907.jpg
    20210503_133907.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 85
Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

Cathy
Hi everyone, I'm so sorry. I didn't realise I had any replies to my message. Still figuring out how the forums work :). Thank you so much for the messages. It's lovely to get a response.

Hey mate! That's a cool study your doing, but I'm not sure if there are any people 65+ on here, and most people who keep reptiles on this forum don't really keep them as "pets" normally it's for viewing or breeding, so I don't think reptiles will really contribute to well-being the same that dogs do. But I hope your study goes well! Good luck! :)
Thank you. I did find some people on US forums so hopefully will find a few more.

I think you'll be surprised. There's two extremes of keeping reptiles, the young, and then the older people, who've settled in life and are in a position to get the pet that they really wanted for a long time but life was in the way. I myself am 33 and had to wait until now to be in a place in my life where I could get one (probably more in future) as not moving around heaps anymore and have stability to commit to care for the full life of the animal. In doing so my Dad who is 69 also got his first and he has wanted one for YEARS but again wanted to travel and enjoy his retirement but now is settling down locally and wanted one. They're great for older people, not super needy, but companionship so you're not just home alone there's another living creature with you. Relatively simple care once all set up and if you 'forget' to feed him for a day it's not an issue in the slightest. (Don't fear he has a nice calendar stuck on front of his fridge that he marks when it's fed and shed etc and I obviously come check regularly).
Thanks Vicky. Yes, some people that I've spoken to like that they don't need so much care. Some also said they can't bear the heartbreak of losing another dog. They like that the reptiles are around without getting too close :)

Hi Cathy, I am 66 and have 7 Pythons and 3 Lizards apart from 3 cats. I love my scale babies and believe that I am the only person to be allowed a therapy Python whilst in Hospital. I had to spend some time there and needed a lift in my spirits. Snakes are wonderful pets, I even take one to see Santa for Christmas, it raises money to support the RSPCA and I get a lot of interest from self confessed Snake haters and they walk away not hating them and understanding them more.

Noel
Hi Noel. Thank you for your message. It's really interesting. Someone in the US said that his snakes help him with PTSD. Would you be willing to talk with me about your experience by email or phone?

I'm not quite 65, I'm 64 and a bit and I keep reptiles. Yes I breed some of them but some are just pets. I am not retired (yet) and I have multiple reptiles over 10 species
Hello, thanks for replying to me. I had no idea breeding was so common until I started this project. I'd love to know more about the ones you kept as pets. Would you be willing to tell me more by any chance? It would be either one phone call or over and back via email? I can PM you more details if you were ok with that?

Hi everyone, I'm so sorry. I didn't realise I had any replies to my message. Still figuring out how the forums work :). Thank you so much for the messages. It's lovely to get a response.

Thank you. I did find some people on US forums so hopefully will find a few more.

Thanks Vicky. Yes, some people that I've spoken to like that they don't need so much care. Some also said they can't bear the heartbreak of losing another dog. They like that the reptiles are around without getting too close :)

Hi Noel. Thank you for your message. It's really interesting. Someone in the US said that his snakes help him with PTSD. Would you be willing to talk with me about your experience by email or phone?

Hello, thanks for replying to me. I had no idea breeding was so common until I started this project. I'd love to know more about the ones you kept as pets. Would you be willing to tell me more by any chance? It would be either one phone call or over and back via email? I can PM you more details if you were ok with that?
I don't mind helping you out a bit

Hi. I'm 51 and been called everything from Queen of the snakes - Snake whisperer - usually Mad snake lady.
Snakes are so therapeutic. They move through your fingers and are able to enable relaxation to both yourself and them, depending on your mood, experience etc.
They are so intune with your feelings. They will often hover slightly above the gap between your eyes for a period as if to 'scan' you. Hotter spot in frontal lobe I guess...
They communicate in nonverbal ways like most other non human animals. When you finally figure out what they are trying to tell you, you are left feeling so far below your place in the supposed food chain.
Snakes, like all animals are amazing.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20211023-165638.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211023-165638.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 58

Hi I'm 67 and keep 3 snakes as pets. I would be willing to talk to you about keeping reptiles.
Greg

Hi. I'm 51 and been called everything from Queen of the snakes - Snake whisperer - usually Mad snake lady.
Snakes are so therapeutic. They move through your fingers and are able to enable relaxation to both yourself and them, depending on your mood, experience etc.
They are so intune with your feelings. They will often hover slightly above the gap between your eyes for a period as if to 'scan' you. Hotter spot in frontal lobe I guess...
They communicate in nonverbal ways like most other non human animals. When you finally figure out what they are trying to tell you, you are left feeling so far below your place in the supposed food chain.
Snakes, like all animals are amazing.
I totally agree roxysmoonglow, couldn't have put it better myself!
I am 50 and as I'm from the UK originally, have always been fascinated by reptiles.
Over the last 2 years one of my daughters has been rescuing reptiles and now I have 2 beautiful pythons (Murray Darling and a Jungle Jag), and she has 6 pythons and 3 lizards.... They're all amazing and endearing with their unique personalities and quirks ☺️
We no longer have a dining room, it is now the Snake Room!
My daughter and I have had fun making or refurbishing tanks for them all during lockdown 🤩🤩🤩

I totally agree roxysmoonglow, couldn't have put it better myself!
I am 50 and as I'm from the UK originally, have always been fascinated by reptiles.
Over the last 2 years one of my daughters has been rescuing reptiles and now I have 2 beautiful pythons (Murray Darling and a Jungle Jag), and she has 6 pythons and 3 lizards.... They're all amazing and endearing with their unique personalities and quirks ☺️
We no longer have a dining room, it is now the Snake Room!
My daughter and I have had fun making or refurbishing tanks for them all during lockdown 🤩🤩🤩
Morning/Evening Yeliena, My entire house is the snakes room. They are extremely quirky to say the least.. along with fussy, moody, mostly predictable and extremely intelligent. For an animal with no external ears and unable to 'speak' mine knew what was going on before I did. Im proud of your daughter. I rescue/relocate pythons here without changing.. don't tell anyone..I have appropriate licences. Get all your snakes out, not together obviously, and become grounded.

Hi Vixen, Calendar idea is awesome. I used to use it when I wasn't well. I'm good now so phone apps but if my phone died, will have to create QR codes and get info back. Tech. Tech. I'm 51 I think..

My female albino is just starting her shed cycle, she's just turned milky, appeared hungry last night but at the last minute refused her food. She then stared at me and wanted affection. So I've had to get her out and stroke her tail. She appears happy. I don't know if it's the full moon psychosis like with people or something else.
Special indeed.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20211220-054911.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211220-054911.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice guys!! I didn't mean to come across rude when I said people don't keep them as pets, I just meant reptiles probably don't give the same affection a pet like a dog would, but we still love them even if they don't love us! :)
I beg to disagree..I'm not being rude either buddy. When you spend as much time as I have with my snakes, some..are actually more affectionate than any person let alone something with fur. When I left for my 8 on FIFO job, my jullatin knew. He would sulk when he saw me getting ready. When I said goodbye he put his head on my cheek and left it there until I had to rush off to the airport.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you!

Cathy
Hello again everyone, I just need two more people if anyone is willing? Either phonecall or email interview?
I also wanted to thank you all for the response and the support so far and especially to the people have taken time out of their day to talk with me. It has really turned into a great experience for me and I am very grateful.

Kind regards,
Cathy

Hi my name is Jim , I am 67 & have 10 snakes , they make my life whole , they are quite affectionate in their own way
Hello Jim, would you be willing to talk with me, it could be by phone or email?

Latest posts

Back