Any other orchid nuts out there?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeynewbie

Reaction score
Had heaps of fun today, Friday i got the go ahead to legally salvage orchids from areas near me that are scheduled for redevelopment so I went out for a bit of an adventure today to see what i could find. It's a bit late in the season for some things and quite a few of the things I collected have already gone to seed and I will struggle to identify them until they flower again next year but also got quite a few of my favorites including Cryptostylis erecta and Cryptostylis subulata, Dipodium variagatum, Calochilus paludosus, Dendrobium kingianum, Cymbidium suave and a couple of dockrillias. I've already worked my butt off to get the dockrillias and dendrobium onto some mounts and the rest will stay in their bags until tomorrow and get potted up or planted out into my gardens :)

Last edited:
I love all the native aussie ones, especially the little terrestrial orchids. I seem to have a bit of a penchant for the small, unusual ones that most people miss because they are too busy looking at the big asian orchids, etc. I also like some of the less common exotics and keep a few Masdevellias, etc :)

They are gorgeous flowers, alas my parent's yard is a concrete pebbled eyesore...

Love the vanda pacharas, various pansy orchids and phals too, so many faves!

Drop into my gfs back yard in Kalimantan one day
She has black orchids

Im not really a flower person but they are pretty cool

shame we can't legally salvage all the reptiles that are also doomed by the development.

We had a development going in in Nelson Bay a few years ago
NPWS approved a group relocating the reps to another area close by
Might still do the same if asked??

Last edited:
NPWS approved a group relocating the reps to another area close by
Might still do the same if asked??

may as well have let them get bulldozed, what a total ecological "fail".

in the state forests on the south coast collectors can harvest and then sell for profit fern and orchid species (with npws tags attached), yet someone who captured a doomed bird or reptile or mammal in the same logged area can't keep it as a pet

good luck with the cymbidium, native ones i have had seem to die after a year or two, they don't enjoy transplanting

I have a couple of cymbids that I transplanted a while ago before they were bulldozed and they are going great guns, have put out new shoots even, one I transplanted onto a tree on my property and poked in amongst staghorn ferns and other purchased orchids in amongst the forks of the tree, I water them each day when I'm there and it seems very happy. I tried mounting some of the same one onto a tree fern mount and it died despite regular watering and the other piece I put into a pot with soil and it's also growing well. They are just finicky it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back