Any tips of finding gex in the bush?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
At some stage i want to head out south western qld, north western qld, NT, SA or WA and photograph some terrestrial gex at night. Any tips on finding them? The only ones i have ever found were heteronotia binoei but really wanna photograph diplodactylus species.

thanks alot, now what am i going to do for attention:p

wouldnt it be hard to see them from a car? I'll be doing a lot of walking at night when i head out using a black light to find scorps.

no there easy to see from a car once you see one you learne to see more , out near lightening ridge is a good spot so if any outback road in QLD i have even seen centerpides attacking them and eating them

Centipedes are sweet. I'd love a centipede as a pet (PM me if anyone knows) BUT back to the topic.

Plenty of AHG's at my place if you like! Look in heavily wooded areas? That's unfortunately the only contribution I can manage.

If you organise a GOOD strong head torch, you'll find hundreds just by walking around at night and looking for their eye reflections... Spider eyes also glitter at night too so make sure it's a gecko before you put your hand on it lol...

Jamie.

the only spiders that eyes glow are wolfies, make great lizard food lol

mickousley, what species of geckos do you find at lightning ridge. We go out there each year for the goat races, lol. Great fun. I heard that O marmorata is pretty common...anything else you find?
cheers, ian

Youll get them on the roads on warm nights, if not just find yourself a nice patch of habitat and go wandering with a headtorch on like Jamie said. Vary the habitat you search according to the species your chasing. Alot of the Diplos ive seen over here have been in areas with high concentrations of Lycosids, they presumably eat the spiders and also use the holes as day time retreats.

Big Sparasids and some moths eyes glow aswell, being more gecko like than the Lycosids.
Jordan

wouldnt it be hard to see them from a car? I'll be doing a lot of walking at night when i head out using a black light to find scorps.

you just find a sealed road thats not got any trafic on it and drive very very slow and you will see heaps of little things crawling around on the road that you would not normaly see at 100ks.

you just find a sealed road thats not got any trafic on it and drive very very slow and you will see heaps of little things crawling around on the road that you would not normaly see at 100ks.

It's not too hard to spot them at 100kmh really. But it is hard to stop in time :)

would u need a man made light sorce near by the spot ur searching, because of bug attraction to the lights,
eg. public toilets, shed lights etc?
not sure cos my mate gets them in his shed suspectedly by the light that bugs hang around.
oh..... and ive got a nice jungly part in my back yard would that be a good spot for gex???

just wandering,
hydro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back