Anyone have any good turtle tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuKL7

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! a few days ago i saw a picture of an eastern long neck turtle and it was so cute! I decided i will be getting one or two early next year. I've been reading many care sheets researching their requirements and stuff. I think i have got the gist of it but still refining my knowledge.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have any food and lighting tips? This will be my first non-snake reptile so im still confused with UVA/UVB. I'm good with water quality since i've been keeping fish for 2 years now, also ANY tips and experiences with turtles will be greatly appreciated :D

I will be using the 'search tool' lol, i just wanted some personal tips for those who want to pass them on ;)

Nuttanai

don't have a turtle myself but iv done a little bit of research i think you need about 5.0 UVB globe and then often take them outside in natural sunlight.

There's a great turtle forum that provides very detailed care guide. Just google "australian freshwater turtle forum". I have 3 turtles, one of them is a long neck. Very cheeky turtle, especially at feeding time! :)

Yea, I definitely recommend checking that forum out. It has TONS of great info and people who will help you out. Also very reliable care guides that cover mostly everything. :)

Quarintine any feed#r fish before putting them in with the turtle. I didnt and lost a macleay river turtle because of it.

Thanks guys! Will definitely check that forum out! And also that care sheet twitch when I get home ;)

Jas - I thought baby turtles should be kept inside? Till they get roughly 15 cms?

Will do shadow ;) if I feed feeder fish though, I'm not a big fan of live feeding unless its like a mealworm cos they don't have a face and I can't see the fear in their eyes lol

Thanks guys! Will definitely check that forum out! And also that care sheet twitch when I get home ;)

Jas - I thought baby turtles should be kept inside? Till they get roughly 15 cms?

Will do shadow ;) if I feed feeder fish though, I'm not a big fan of live feeding unless its like a mealworm cos they don't have a face and I can't see the fear in their eyes lol
my 8cm turtle was put out side into one of the ponds last summer and its doing fine . if u plan to put any turtlers outside wait till its summer time that way they can get usedto the temps before it starts to cool off .

when we had long necks a few years ago they loved soft shelled yabbies,great exercise chasing them down and good food too.We would put them into the kids 4' inflatable pool and let them go,
I also think TORTOISES are very intelligent creatures

Last edited:
my 8cm turtle was put out side into one of the ponds last summer and its doing fine . if u plan to put any turtlers outside wait till its summer time that way they can get usedto the temps before it starts to cool off .
Cools will do ;) thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back