Arboreal habits of scrubs and hunting strategies.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Primo

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what some of you field herping folks have witnessed or learned about the scrub python's natural feeding habits. Oddly, when researching large constrictors, scrubs and olives seem to be forgotten, and the banter usually is about reticulated pythons, Burms, and African rocks now and then.

The scrub is somewhat a mysterious snake to me, and I'd like to know just how often they are hunting from trees VS a more terrestrial area.

Being very long snakes, I'm amazed at their speed, and like the fact that they are thick, yet not to the point where they aren't agile in top cover.

How competitive are they in areas where carpets also inhabit the same areas? Are there ever problems where coastals or jungles or Darwins inhabit the same areas?

I could picture a large coastal and scrub potentially taking the same prey.

I have a few loaded questions in this post, but I'm open to generating some discussion regarding the scrub's habits beyond what I have asked as well.

Last edited:
Large individuals have been found Laying in ambush positions by water, waiting for prey to drink. They are also often encountered around fruit bat colonies, where they'd pick them off as they roost. Island populations would be taking nesting birds, possums, and bandicoots. Agile Wallabies are known to be consumed. (agile wallabies are around 80cm tall and weigh roughly 30kg)

Depending on the habitat being occupied, they'll be searching/waiting for prey both on the ground by animal trails, or in trees.

I can't comment on the direct competition between scrubs and carpets as I haven't observed such instances myself, but have seen both carpets and spotted pythons feeding together on bats in the chillagoe caves near cairns, they didn't seem to notice each other.

Large individuals have been found Laying in ambush positions by water, waiting for prey to drink. They are also often encountered around fruit bat colonies, where they'd pick them off as they roost. Island populations would be taking nesting birds, possums, and bandicoots. Agile Wallabies are known to be consumed. (agile wallabies are around 80cm tall and weigh roughly 30kg)

Depending on the habitat being occupied, they'll be searching/waiting for prey both on the ground by animal trails, or in trees.

I can't comment on the direct competition between scrubs and carpets as I haven't observed such instances myself, but have seen both carpets and spotted pythons feeding together on bats in the chillagoe caves near cairns, they didn't seem to notice each other.

Insights much appreciated Sir!

It's always interesting to learn about a species that is not I guess what would be know as "main stream" over here.

I read a fair amount of text, but even the snake books seem to focus on the retics, burms, boas and the other species.

I did find some great stuff on the Aussie pythons, but it appears they are priced rather high for me to justify a purchase.

I've noticed quite a few aussie species are being kept by people in the uk. Can you import from there? Although I guess it'd still be pricey.

I've noticed quite a few aussie species are being kept by people in the uk. Can you import from there? Although I guess it'd still be pricey.

We have olives, and scrubs here. I'm not able to care for their potential size, nor would my wife allow something that big, but since buying my son a royal a few years back, my new hobby has become medium to large constricting snakes. I'm rather interested in the biology of them, and similarities and differences. I have read some studies that deal with infrared heat pits, and vision, mouth gape and timing during strikes, the list goes on, and there is a good book called THE BIOLOGY OF BOAS AND PYTHONS that has some interesting studies in it as well.

I believe most of out carpets here are pretty crossed. I'm hoping my coastal will hit at least 2 meters, maybe even 3.

My boa constrictor is a male and the sexual dimorphism is a bit more prevalent it that species, however because I don't breed my animals, he may have the potential to get large.

I got a bit off topic here, but I have become fascinated by scrubs since getting a coastal carpet.

There is something special about snakes that are semi arboreal to me. I like the fact they are big, fairly thick, but not bulky to the point of not being able to climb well, or move fast. The scrubs seem to be the ultimate snake to me right now, however because olives pythons can eat scrubs, I'm intrigued by them as well.

You guys have a lot of smashing predators down there.

Some fine rock and roll groups as well, but that's another topic all together.

Do you find island scrubs different from mainland scrubs?

I'm assuming the Kinghorni is the ultimate in regard to size??

We Can only keep the mainland australian scrub python (morelia kinghorni) the smaller island scrubs are considered exotics, therefor illegal to own. Last I checked there were three or four sub-species, only one is found on the aus mainland.

i haven't seen any of the other sub species in the flesh, only in books

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the australian scrub is the biggest and can get to 8.5 metres.

the smallest is the tanimbar island scrub python, morelia amathystina nauta.

ive heard the island scrubs are more docile than ours.

We Can only keep the mainland australian scrub python (morelia kinghorni) the smaller island scrubs are considered exotics, therefor illegal to own. Last I checked there were three or four sub-species, only one is found on the aus mainland.

i haven't seen any of the other sub species in the flesh, only in books

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the australian scrub is the biggest and can get to 8.5 metres.

the smallest is the tanimbar island scrub python, morelia amathystina nauta.

ive heard the island scrubs are more docile than ours.

I need to research a bit more. I'll bet our scrubs are all island scrubs. I also didn't know the animals that inhabit out lying islands around your area would be considered exotic. I thought that ban was more related to areas much further away from you.

Live and learn. Thanks for the info.

Morelia kinghorni is found on some islands off the coast of qld, the island scrubs I refered to earlier are (m. a nauta) tanimbar Islands, (m. a tracyei) mollucan islands.

the other would be m. a amethystina from mainland PNG

- - - Updated - - -

The ban on exotics here is a little hard to comprehend when it comes to islands within swimming distance lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a story from a couple of years back. It shows how strong a scrub can be. Keep in mind this specimen was average in size. no where near its full size potential.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...other-finds-garden-squeezed-large-python.html

Last edited:
Morelia kinghorni is found on some islands off the coast of qld, the island scrubs I refered to earlier are (m. a nauta) tanimbar Islands, (m. a tracyei) mollucan islands.

the other would be m. a amethystina from mainland PNG

- - - Updated - - -

The ban on exotics here is a little hard to comprehend when it comes to islands within swimming distance lol

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a story from a couple of years back. It shows how strong a scrub can be. Keep in mind this specimen was average in size. no where near its full size potential.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...other-finds-garden-squeezed-large-python.html

Nice read.

I'm sure I'm generalizing but it really seems like the Aussie folks respect their native creatures a lot and from what I've seen, are more willing to relocate snakes, even snakes that have eaten pets.

A lot of it is based on education, but here, unless you are somewhat in the reptile scene so to speak, most people just dislike/hate snakes.

I could be way off but some of the stuff I've seen and read puts you guys way ahead of a lot of us when it comes to conservation and respecting nature when it comes to snakes specifically.

Mate thats nice of you to say but down here in south oz i see so many dead snakes and lizards on the road that i sometimes think people go out of their way to kill them, so far this year ive even seen three sand goannas, and they are fast, real fast. Unfortunately the general consensus around here is the only good snake is a dead snake.

I'm on holiday in NZ right now -woohoo! - so I haven't seen many reptiles in the past week or two, & no snakes :(. Primo, I think you'll find that most of the bigger, heavier constrictors become ground dwellers as they grow, and in fact if they have access to water, they are often semi-aquatic because being in water aids in support. Burms, Retics, Anacondas, and big Olives often spend large amounts of time in water, as a supportive mechanism, to stabilise body temperatures (especially where it gets cool at night and the water stays warmer for longer than the air), and to ambush prey when animals come down to drink. Scrubs are probably the lightest & slimmest of the great snakes, and may be a bit more arboreal than the others as adult snakes, but most very large pythons are vulnerable to damage if they fall or break branches. See if you can find Clifford H Pope's treatise on the great snakes - it's old but a great read.

Jamie

Thanks for the last two posts here.

I think the really large constrictors do become more terrestrial, sometimes just based on prey, however there are some really interesting accounts of reticulated pythons ambushing prey from trees and spending a fair amount of time in the canopy. There is a keeper here in the states that has fully grown retics in some giant zoo style cages and the snakes are usually off the ground up in perches.

The anacondas are so thick and dense they need the water. They are also designed for it as that's where they live and hunt. If there is any further habitat destruction, a species like the anaconda will be in serious danger as I don't see it being able to adapt. One thing I really like about the carpet group is their ability to adapt to living amongst humans, where sheds, roofs, attics and other manmade structures are all potential homes or hunting areas for them.

Boa constrictors are big, and thick but will take to the trees to find prey. There is a good YouTube video of a BC taking a howler monkey in the trees and my male BC always eats from a perched position. I really like anything that is semi arboreal and just find it very interesting and fun to watch.

paultheo,

That's really sad, and I guess I'm just seeing the good examples of Aussie folks and their attitude toward snakes. Again mostly on YouTube where somebody films a snake in their yard and lets it go on it's way.

It's too bad not everybody will take the time to learn about various species of animals, and drop the labels of "evil, dangerous and bad".

I need to get down there for a visit someday!

This has been a fun thread for me. Thanks to all who have chimed in!

Last edited:
You should watch this special Austin Stevens did on the Scrub python. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsUxL3-ReaM
It talks about large specimens climbing to the top of the canopy for direct sunlight and shows them sitting on rocks around a waterway sunning themselves. As far as hunting goes I would presume they are like any carpet python and feed opportunistically on varying sized prey. Coastal carpets have been known to take wallabies that look way to large for them so it is only reasonable to assume that scrubbies would be doing the same.
A quick google search pruduced the following.
http://jake.xs4all.nl/ate/pics/weblog/snake02.jpg
http://www.ozarkwild.org/graphics/snake4.jpg

You should watch this special Austin Stevens did on the Scrub python. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsUxL3-ReaM
It talks about large specimens climbing to the top of the canopy for direct sunlight and shows them sitting on rocks around a waterway sunning themselves. As far as hunting goes I would presume they are like any carpet python and feed opportunistically on varying sized prey. Coastal carpets have been known to take wallabies that look way to large for them so it is only reasonable to assume that scrubbies would be doing the same.
A quick google search pruduced the following.
http://jake.xs4all.nl/ate/pics/weblog/snake02.jpg
http://www.ozarkwild.org/graphics/snake4.jpg
Great info and video, I just caught this now.

Love those scrubs!

As a matter of fact, I'd consider a scrub for my next snake. I think they might be the most exciting large snake I've seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back