Are Eastern Water Skinks good pets?

somethingiswack

Reaction score
I couldn't decide between a blue tongue skink and a eastern water dragon but then i discovered eastern water skinks.

I like how they are smaller then EWD. I am also keen about making a paludarium.

In contrast to BTS and EWD, how comfortable are them with handling? I understand because they are smaller they could be a bit more shy/skitish, but do they eventually warm up? Perhaps not as much as BTS but do they warm up to humans at all?

Thanks

ElapidHooks

Reaction score
Hello I just want to start off by saying I'm not experienced in keeping Eastern water skinks but I had a look around and there husbandry doesn't seem to be very hard. Now if your looking for something to put in a paludarium I think this is probably the best choice of skink just make sure they have a decent amount of floor space and for handling i can't imagine they would be very good but if you do it enough they might calm down. I have some in my yard and they are wonderful skinks. I hope this helps

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
APS Veteran
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
They make fantastic display animals. They're great to watch and as you say, you can set up a really beautiful paludarium which will work well for them. They're tough as old boots and easy to care for.

If you want something to physically interact with, I'd suggest a girlfriend or maybe a dog or something, but if you must physically interact with a reptile this is probably a poor choice. Of your other two options, a Blue-tongued Skink would definitely be the best handling option.