Are Gents (maggots) okay for baby Beardies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

komode

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Like the title says, I'm wondering if maggots are okay for baby Beardies (3 wks old). The lady at the shop I bought him from said they'd be good, I changed from crickets because he was taking no interest in them. I also had bark chips as the substrate which they would nick off under, have now changed to the reptile grass, but he still didn't go for the crickets. The second time I offered him the maggots, he ate them, and has ever since. I put them in his bowl of vegies so he gets the taste of those too, and dust them with calcium powder.

It's just I have never read that anyone else is feeding their Beardie maggots (unless they're called something else in the eastern states).

Thanks, ;)

i have never had a beardie that wouldnt take crickets. even as a baby. but, i too have been told that maggots are a great source of food. i have never fed my beardies maggots. but, in the wild they would naturally eat them.
cheers
mel :D:D:D

yes they are fine, probably not for a permanant food souce but great as a treat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back