ARR! My electricity bill doubled!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
This time last year i did not own reptiles. This year i have 3 ceramic heat emiters running 24-7 and 2 UV lights running in the day.
My bill has doubled compared to this time last year.
Do ceramic heat globes suck THAT much power up!?!?!!?
I only have 3!

the thing is, i am not running anything different in the house (appart from the reptiles) since last year. No new TV's, heating etc etc...nothing in my life has changed - except for the heat lamps. So i can't pin point it to anything else.
I know they chew power, but i didn't think 3 globes would make such an impact.

Been using the oven, dishwasher, dryer, tv, microwave, washing machine etc more? Maybe Lucy is old enough watch tv now and such...

change to globes and have heat mats for summer....75watt globes and a 7watt heat mat...

Put the wattages up, takes about 1min to figure out how much they cost to run

mine wasnt that expensive and i have 2 heat globes 2 uvs and a water heater, plus the led tubes to light the enclosures.
I used approximatly $3.15 a day and that also had my pc running continuosly aswell

Thats a bit strange, shouldnt be that much, no new appliances? My bill slowly doubled but it took quite a lot of fish and reptile tanks, then I got solar and now Im trying to double it again lol....

Tumbleweed- I have noticed your really positive comments are doing well with the whole making friends thing.....

My pc's and tv's chew through power. I need to change over to led tv.

This is exactly what I'm worried about but I think it was more I had oil heaters running all the time.

Turn off everything at the wall after using it.

If your on electricity stop showering or don't shower as much.

Gas heating
Gas water heater
Gas cooktop/oven

Change light bulbs to power saving ones (get decent ones that actually allow you to see) (landlord was a stingy uker)

I'm running a 150watt heat light 24/7 at full power don't wanna know how much it's using.

How much was your bill if you don't mind me asking ?
I got a $500 one for 2 people....
Wasn't to happy

This time last year i did not own reptiles. This year i have 3 ceramic heat emiters running 24-7 and 2 UV lights running in the day.
My bill has doubled compared to this time last year.
Do ceramic heat globes suck THAT much power up!?!?!!?
I only have 3!
That does sound like a lot of wasted heat. If the ceramics are 150 watt the they are using about 3.5kw a day each so with your UV you would be chewing 11KW a day which will soon cost you $4 a day. I use about that much power to heat a few hundred snakes with heat matts. I heat the snakes ,not the air , which is much more efficient.

Been using the oven, dishwasher, dryer, tv, microwave, washing machine etc more? Maybe Lucy is old enough watch tv now and such...

seriously - nothing has changed. Routine is as normal with dish washers ets. TV would be on less if anything. No air con or heaters running, i never leave anything on standby and turn all power mains off at night, except for the fridge. And the price only went up 1 cent per unit.

So if you all think its a bit much just for 3 heat globes, i might have to call the power people and ask them to re-read the metre.

nah I've got a theatre room with a projector and a 100" screen framed on the wall. It's only 720p but still good for movies.
Current tv is a LCD sony bravia from like 5 years ago. The ones with the glass frame. IT's only a 48" but I dont watch it that much. I watch mainly DL tv in the theatre room.

change to globes and have heat mats for summer....75watt globes and a 7watt heat mat...

My 75w globe on my snake, keeps blowing up and so does the 50w on the skink's!
I was thinking switching to ceramics, until now...
Do they really suck up that much electricity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back