At what point is too long?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Hi all!

Question for the experienced...
I know snakes can go quite some time without eating, have heard some can go a year, some 6months etc quite comfortably.

Would there be a point at which you would take a young snake to the vet for not eating. For example, at 3 months? 6 months without food?

It's very early days in my now 7 months old Stimson's refusal to eat period. He hasn't eaten since the 3rd of July. I understand they do not eat in winter and am aware that he may eat in spring and all will be well with the world. BUT, if by chance that does not occur and we get further down the line, at what point should he be seen by an experienced reptile vet?

I appreciate the advice and information!

Mack

If the only 'symptom' is not eating, I would never go to a vet.

The longest I've had a healthy pythom choose not to eat for was more than two years, there was nothing wrong with him, he just decided to take a break.

It's literally more normal for them not to eat in winter than to eat. They're highly seasonal animals.

Thanks Sdaji,

To pick your brains further, what would be some other symptoms to look out for?

This is the only thing he's doing, otherwise seems fine

Thanks Sdaji,

To pick your brains further, what would be some other symptoms to look out for?

This is the only thing he's doing, otherwise seems fine

What you're seeing is literally exactly what snakes typically naturally do. It's not a symptom. It's a seasonal animal behaving as nature intended.

Actual symptoms to look out for include literally every symptom snakes can possibly exhibit. Not eating during winter is not a symptom, just like a deciduous tree dropping its leaves in autumn is not a symptom.

This is not something to worry about. Try offering feed again in about a month, if he doesn't eat, try again about a month later. As long as he isn't unhealthily losing condition, I wouldn't be concerned until well into spring.

Latest posts

Back