Atherton Slight Whistling when Exhaling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfcop24

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I Just went to clean out my Athertons enclosure..And when I had him wrapped around my shoulders, I noticed he had a slight whistle when he exhaled.... I believe it was when exhaling as it wasnt always, and happened mostly when he was slightly constricting.....

He is about 2-3yo..... About 5ft Long...

Can this be normal.... Or should I take him to a Vet for a check over......
( I am thinkin so)

Who can recommend a Vet for me to go to......

I live 1/2 way between Bris and Goldie at Ormeau.......

Not coming up to a shed at all?Or just had one?
Sometimes they get a loose bit of skin in their nose hence the turbo whistle.

Not coming up to a shed at all?Or just had one?
Sometimes they get a loose bit of skin in their nose hence the turbo whistle.

gsxr boy hit it on the head thought some times they get a little bit of dry **** in their nostril that makes them whistle. be worried when you can feel a crackling and hear it down the right side of the snake. as that is the side of the developed lung.

Helikaon;983449. be worried when you can feel a crackling and hear it down the right side of the snake. as that is the side of the developed lung.[/quote said:
And just to add to that mate, the head elevated or yawning with thick saliva running out of the nose and bubbles out of the nose. not a pretty sight!! :(

And just to add to that mate, the head elevated.

oh we could add numerouse other symptoms of an RI but yes it has all been covered before and RIs are the easiest thing to recognise in my opinion.

...I wouldn't necessarily rule out RI immediately - by the time a snake with RI is yawning and has mucus coming from the nostrils etc the RI has well and truly established itself...if you're able to, open the snake's mouth and look for any excess sticky mucus inside, also, bump the heat up a few degrees as a precaution...

Yeah well at the moment, I cant see any mucus or moisture what so ever........around mouth or nose

One of my carpets is on antibiotics at the moment with a suspeced RI. I noticed a slight ticking sound and a wheeze now and then and thought, better to be safe than sorry. Took her to the vet who did a full examination and couldn't find anything wrong except the snake seemed to be hissing slightly. Mouth was clean, no mucus, no elevated head, eating well, very active.... My policy is I'd rather fork out a bit of money for piece of mind than to have a sick snake. First thing I did do was to isolate the snake and bump the temps up a bit.

...I wouldn't necessarily rule out RI immediately - by the time a snake with RI is yawning and has mucus coming from the nostrils etc the RI has well and truly established itself...if you're able to, open the snake's mouth and look for any excess sticky mucus inside, also, bump the heat up a few degrees as a precaution...

excess mucous could mean a number of other things, not jsut RI, and can be a symptom that comes before an RI. as the snake will often aspirate this mucous and the RI will start.

H.

Okay?? And how do I see him?? Do you have a Phone number or contact??

i gave you the contact, the university of queensland vet clinic. give them a call and make an appointment, 07 3365 2110 thats the number, and you could have always checked the wiki as he is listed in their. and no i will not make that appointment for you either:p

cheers
H.

Went to Peter Wilson(Currumbin Valley) today....

He gave the full once over check and found nothing wrong.... Said the slight whistle is probably due to him coming up to shed sometime soon, hence nose skin may be a lil loose.....

In doing the whole check, he also did do a Faecal check and found he had a very slight bacterial infection, found commonly in reptile collections.... A dose of Flagyl and he said he will be fine...

I am going to take my other three down to him tomorrow as they probably have the bacteria too... Just that way it doesnt spread .....

And it was really good, even though he was busy, and had things to do, he took the time out to explain and show me everything.... I would recommend him to anybody else....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back