Aussie Sun 100w or 160w?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kristhorn

Reaction score
Hey all, not sure if I posted in the right forum so if I havent forgive me >_<
Looking at getting my beardy a mvb, his cage is from petbarn, its about 4 x 2 x 2, all glass with 2 sliders at the front and a mesh roof, has good ventilation and such. I've done alot of researching and am just curious which would be better, the 100w or 160w Aussie Sun MVB? He'll be about 30cm away from the bulb on his basking side.
Tight budget sadly otherwise I'd get him a Megaray, but the'yre quite pricey seen one for $120 though

Any advice would be greatful :)

I would go with the 100 watt, I use 100 watt globes with 30cm spacing for my netteds and it holds perfect temps (38-42).

Only problem with the 100 watters is that the uvb only extends a max of 30 cms from bulb. They would get virtually no benefit except for heat. The 160's uvb extends twice the distance and the lizards will bet full benifit at 30 cm's

Only problem with the 100 watters is that the uvb only extends a max of 30 cms from bulb. They would get virtually no benefit except for heat. The 160's uvb extends twice the distance and the lizards will bet full benifit at 30 cm's

But at 30 cm it would be far too hot, but to solve that I suppose all you need is a cheap switching thermostat

But at 30 cm it would be far too hot, but to solve that I suppose all you need is a cheap switching thermostat

Gas discharge globes don't last long with constant switching, and generally not suitable for dimming.

Just on this topic I run a Megaray MVB bulb and my Central Netted's have to be a minimum, yes minimum 30 centimetres away from the bulb such is their intensity.

I have found a 100w is more than enough. If u have concerns during winter add a second spot light say around 75 to 100 and have it controlled by a dimmer.

Thanks for all the replies everyone :D I'll grab a 100w then :) ill keep an eye on the temps hopefully just a mvb will be enough, id rather just 1 light in the enclosure, makes it easier :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back