Australian Snake Breeding Size information now available

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Some time back I obtained permission from Rick Shine to publish on the Herp Shop web site the Appendix from his book "Australian Snakes - A Natural History" but it took me a long long time to get all the information together on a web page but finally it is now done and up as a Care Sheet on the "Links and Care Sheets" page at http://www.herpshop.com.au.

The question often comes up on APS "Is my snake old enough to breed?"... well the question should be "Is my snake big enough to breed?" and the answer to this question is on this care sheet.

For Australian snakes they are usually big enough to breed once they have attained 75% of their average adult size. This care sheet includes columns detailing what this size is ( in SVL - Snout to Vent Length) for all species of Australian snakes.

Rick asked me to point out that this information is at best a goodguide as the average adult size of many species varies across their geographical range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back