Australian Travel Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palex134

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some travel advice on my upcoming trip to Australia in February.

I was originally thinking for the Australian leg of my journey that I would arrive in Brisbane, spend a night or two there, then take another flight to Townsville.

However, I am now thinking that I want to visit a few places near those locations such as the Whitsundays, Fraser Island, and The Australian Zoo.

If I wanted to visit these locations, would it make more sense to pass on the flight from Townsville and just drive from Brisbane to Fraser then Fraser to Whitsundays, ultimately ending up near Townsville?

I think I have ample time for travel, leaving from Boston on the 3rd or 4th with Orientation in Townsville starting the 12th. This would allow me to spend a few nights on Fraser and in the Whitsundays if I line them up.

I'd save some money on the flight, but I'd probably spend that on the additional petrol/diesel.

I figured if I'd be driving from Brisbane to Fraser, back to Brisbane then from Townsville to Whitsunays and back to Townsville along with the flight, it might make sense to just drive from Fraser Island to the Whitsunday Islands.

So ultimately,
How is the driving? Is it hard to drive the 15+ hours from Brisbane > Townsville. Is it worth it to see these places, since it is the rainy season? It seems like it takes a longer to travel compared to that in the US, mostly due to our highway layouts.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated,

Thanks!,

The highway driving is quite easy, speed is limited to 100-110 km (about 60mph) Fraser is 4WD only (but you can hire a 4WD at rainbow beach). Allow two days minimum and you will need to be semi-selfsufficient. There is a possibility of getting trapped by floods if we get a cyclone but it is a small one. You will also need to get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road.
As for weither it is worth it, well, that is a matter of opinion. I did the coast trip a couple of years ago and loved it.

The three most boring drives in the world are right here in Australia! (If you're in a 2WD)

Haha... It's easy driving, almost no hills - but there's loads of inland roads to take between the sunshine coast all the way up to Marlborough (I only discovered them through the GPS short/long cuts...). I didn't find much interesting - but it was very cool never the less :)

The only real interesting drives begin north of Townsville all the way up to the top :) that's where the wet tropics starts!

I think you will find the roads here easy enough to drive, but the roads themselves a bit on the shabby side.
At least a lot less hectic to navigate (i constantly got lost on your crazy highways with the exit lanes in the
fast lane was a pain).

Theres some great inland routes as far as herping goes, definately worth the minor detour... and very
different country when compared to the coast.
It will easily cost more in fuel (more costly here than the states) than flying, but you'll get so much more
out of driving.

Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back