aviarys

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DA_GRIZ

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all

me and my family are going to be starting our new aviary for my lizards pretty soon and once thats done i will have the current one empty. what i want to do is seperate it into 3 sections and i was just wondering how many diamonds could i keep in a 1 x 2 x 2 metre aviary. i will most likely have diamonds in all of them.

here is a picture i hope to have it like but with logs and everything in it.
cheers matt

Attachments

• k.jpg
    k.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 90
i dont think it would be big enough for 3 individual sections to keep 3 adult diamonds.
perhaps split it in two and have just a pair of diamonds.

I hijacked the thread about DPS being a myth and opened it on another forum and the responses are very interesting. There is almost enough evidence in what ppl have said, that DPS is a non-reversible, environmental issue and not a disease that the animal could be born with. And it seems that heat and lack of UV could be common factors causing the problem. Diamonds, coming from southern east coast prefer a temperature gradient of 26-18. In the wild, even on a 40c day the pythons can retreat to lower ground to achieve their ideal, but in a small enclosure, although you have your thermos set to 26c, how hot is the tank getting, especially on days when your house is hot from a scorching day. Normal room temps in summer would warm up their enclosure above these temps.

As someone else also suggested, this tells me that the only way to really to achieve this kind of temperature gradient is to give them an enclosure larger than you would normally consider ideal for a python. This gives them their warm spot but lots more cooler spots so they can retreat from warmer, humid envirnoment.

However, the only way one can really decide if this is a key to their survival to have one for 8 years and see. Many ppl have stated losing their diamonds from 5 - 8 years old where up to then they have shown these symptoms of DPS. Experimenting with their envirnoment might just help them survive for 20+ years like any other carpet python.

So what does this have to do with Matt's aviaries? I am suggesting that perhaps you should consider making the aviaries as big as you can afford. If they are happy, you will be too.

thanks kath if thats the case i can onlys just have the entire 3 x 2 x 2 for a few diamonds maybe 3 or 4.

1 male : 2 or 3 females

would this be more suited for them.

copied a few ideas off other diamond keepers

Attachments

• new diamond aviary.JPG
    new diamond aviary.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 50
Is that a hole in the ground? I know who you copied that off :p but that looks great Matt. Add a few plants and a tree and it would look absolute beautiful and natural.

Is that a hole in the ground? I know who you copied that off :p but that looks great Matt. Add a few plants and a tree and it would look absolute beautiful and natural.

lol i bet you know who i got it off.

yeah when i start this i will put some nice logs and plants in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back