Axanthic carpet pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southernserpent

Reaction score
Hello I am wondering if the coastal axanthic and jungle axanthic mutations are the same recessive gene or two separate lines. Has anyone crossed them and if crossed will they produce axanthic hatchlings or just coastal and jungles het for the two separate mutations

This is the first season that it has been tested, I believe a few people have mentioned they have done it on Facebook but I haven’t heard of any results as of yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My jungle is my favourite snake to have

E02BBB33-BAFD-4087-8D8E-9D746EE18693.jpeg
[doublepost=1515053252,1515052897][/doublepost]I have no reason to believe they wouldn’t be. Although there are many axanthic in ball pythons that are not allelic
[doublepost=1515054602][/doublepost]Super zebra

AA89DF44-CDFB-4B86-9D16-C6F734EF3539.jpeg

sounds like the mix for deformities.

Not really axanthism is a recessive gene like albino darwin's, albinos have been crossed with nearly every morelia sub species with no deformities. its more inbreeding that produces bad deformities, the snakes mentioned are 2 separate bloodlines.

My jungle is my favourite snake to have

View attachment 322637
[doublepost=1515053252,1515052897][/doublepost]I have no reason to believe they wouldn’t be. Although there are many axanthic in ball pythons that are not allelic
[doublepost=1515054602][/doublepost]Super zebra

View attachment 322638
I can't for the life of me understand why someone would breed something so ugly as that second picture. Each to their own and all, but to me the beauty is in the striking colours and pattern which that snake has none of.
Also is that a slight piggy tail on it and what is that black lump near the tip of the tail?

I normally keep out of threads about new morphs but I have to agree with you Scutellatus. Generally I find it hard to understand why with most jungle morphs and crosses because they never look as good as a beautiful natural jungle pattern.
Sure line breed to enhance natural colours and I do that with my Julattens but most of the morphs leave me cold.

I agree with you yellowtail your julattens do look good and selective breeding will only improve this form of carpet. I am still very interested in the different morphs and their effect on the different forms of carpet python
[doublepost=1515063978,1515063472][/doublepost]Thankyou kittycat I would assume that the two are a separate mutation but thought maybe some of the people that have tested it could confirm

Funny thing is most deformities in reptiles have nothing to do with genetics outside of the jag gene.
They mostly stem from poor temperature control during key incubation periods.

There are a lot of ball pythons morphs that come with issues, inbreeding was/is the quickest bang for buck in the USA. Super zebras also have kinked tails. I find it no coincidence that morphs like the jag and zeb popped up from overseas and not Australia where there is more respect for our reptiles in general.

There are a lot of ball pythons morphs that come with issues, inbreeding was/is the quickest bang for buck in the USA. Super zebras also have kinked tails. I find it no coincidence that morphs like the jag and zeb popped up from overseas and not Australia where there is more respect for our reptiles in general.

If you talk to the breeders you will find that many of the ball python breeders incubate at the upper end of the incubation temp range which is what leads to many of the deformities such as kinks, bug eyes etc. Their reason/excuse for this is that they want to be the first one to produce animals for the season to increase their ability to sell their stock.

If you honestly think our animals are not in bred you are kidding yourself.
Australian captive bred animals have been line bred for decades. Where do you think the Albino lines come from? All Albino darwins are line bred and can be traced back to 1 (or possibly 2 depending on who you believe) animals that were wild caught.

Australian captive bred animals have been line bred for decades. Where do you think the Albino lines come from? All Albino darwins are line bred and can be traced back to 1 (or possibly 2 depending on who you believe) animals that were wild caught.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you to a point, there are good breeders out there that would be outcrossing there Darwin lines to help strengthen them. Like what had to be done with albino olives to get strong lines. So yes they all are traceable back to 1 or 2 animals but they would have been outcrossed a few times over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m well aware of that @Pauls_Pythons but honestly it’s like comparing apples and oranges.

http://www.owalreptiles.com/issues.php
Do you honestly believe these morphs came from a strong genetic pool? Edit: also the the traits listed appear regardless of incubation temp.

Kitty Kat brought up a point I was going to about albino olives who were genetically weak but introducing new blood fixed that up.

Anyway not trying to have an argument mate more a debate ;)

Last edited:
I actually wondered that myself where the albino Darwin really come from. But that would make me to about a lot dodgey stuff that goes on. As far as I know axanthic jungles come from sxr Atherton jungle line. A true Pure Aussie morph. Albino Darwin also. And now the melanistic darwin.

If you talk to the breeders you will find that many of the ball python breeders incubate at the upper end of the incubation temp range which is what leads to many of the deformities such as kinks, bug eyes etc. Their reason/excuse for this is that they want to be the first one to produce animals for the season to increase their ability to sell their stock.

Australian captive bred animals have been line bred for decades. Where do you think the Albino lines come from? All Albino darwins are line bred and can be traced back to 1 (or possibly 2 depending on who you believe) animals that were wild caught.
I agree Paul and it may be only my observations but there is some evidence that line breeding multiple generations of albino Darwins may produce particular patterns and stripes but the colours become washed out and dull. The early albinos bred by Simon Stone and others from Blondie paired with naturals and then hets had a lot of interesting subtle background colours which seemed to reduce once albino/albino pairing was possible and can disappear with more generations. I have been breeding them for 4 generations now with selected naturals and hets to bring out the subtle colours and fluro. The hatchlings from mixed pairs are also noticeably better feeders.

I bred double het axanthic jungle albino Darwin. 16 of them 6 have haven’t fed yet. Two should be twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back