Baby Bearded Dragons - Health/illness

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corrie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I work in a petstore that keeps and sells baby beardies (don't hate me, not my choice) and we're having problems with some of them developing a particular problem. The best way i can describe it is that their head starts to lift and flip backwards, like they are trying to touch their back with their nose. The condition worsens over several days, they don't eat and will die (due to the "disease" or not eating i'm not sure). We have taken them to a vet but the vet doesn't seem to be too sure what this could be.
I'll be honest and say that the husbandry isn't that great (i'm doing my best to fix this). What i'm asking is whether anyone has seen this themselves and whether they know what it is? I'm hoping that by finding out what we're dealing with I can make sure we're doing the right things to get rid of it. I'm also wondering whether it is something that came in with one of the clutches or whether it is actually caused by our poor husbandry. Over the past 2-3 months, i'd say we've lost 3-4 babies from this. Any thoughts appreciated. Again, please understand that i'm doing my best here. These are not my animals, i'm trying to get more information so that I can help these guys through knowledge.

Sorry, I should say, if this has been discussed elsewhere, please just point me to the thread. I tried searching variations of "bearded dragon flipping head" but didn't have any luck :) Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
This has happened to my Beardie when he went through a 3 day period of being super sick and weird, throwing his head back like you are saying. Took him to the vets and said that he had just caught a virus - nothing to worry about - lots of water and keep him in a dark place (With UVA/B Obviously). However your Beardies may have
- Mouth Rot
- Rubber Jaw
- MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease).

Hope they get better
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back