Baby Blue Tongue Not Eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stungray

Reaction score
Hi all,

My new baby blue tongue is about 8 days old now and seems healthy as far as I can tell except it hasn't eaten in the 3 days I've had it. It has yet to defecate as well (I guess not surprising considering the lack of food), so I'm really starting to worry. I've been offering it a decent variety sticking to the 40% meat 40% vege 20% fruit diet, but can't seem to get it interested. When I try gently try to get it to taste the food it shows no interest what so ever. The only luck I've had was with a bit of mushed up banana which it licked.

I know adults tend to eat irregularly at times but I assume the little ones need to eat all they can. I have little experience but I far as I can tell with information I've read here and different caresheets, there is no obvious indication of any health issue. Its perfectly active, seems comfortable enough its new home, seems to enjoy the basking lamp, has a drink of water every so often - so I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Just how abnormal is this?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

what do you offer it? Some of the faves of my blueys are wet cat food (non fish types), snails, pineapple, beans broccoli cauliflower (cooked) and raw egg

All natural chicken cat food, carrot, beetroot, endive, blueberries and banana so far. I know the breeder fed it some of the same things as well as slightly cooked egg which I'm assuming it ate because I chose one of the larger ones that looked like it had been getting its fair share to eat. I've offered the same cat food in each meal so far. Is it possible that my blue tongue is completely turned off eating by the smell of the cat food or something?

Hot end's 35 degrees with the cool end around 29, and it's been staying around 27 at night.

SNV10879.jpg

---------- Post added 16-Jan-11 at 02:36 PM ----------

Huh strangely enough it finally defecated a few minutes ago. Never thought I'd be excited to see that, haha.
Maybe it had a hard time digesting something the breeder fed it? Seems much more energetic all of a sudden.

enclosure looks fine, see if the recent poop helps his appetite

Thanks, hopefully it will! Really appreciate your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back