Baby hognose male for 3 months not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruitloops

Reaction score
My baby hognose male hasn't ate in 3 months he doesn't seem to be any skinner but I'm concerned about him I've tried the deli cup method the different container and waiting a week before offering food and he just gets mad and runs away each time. It's been 3 months and I've tried to help him and I don't know what to do anymore. He has a nice heatmat and all what he needs.

Attachments

• 20220115_224944.jpg
    20220115_224944.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 15
My baby hognose male hasn't ate in 3 months he doesn't seem to be any skinner but I'm concerned about him I've tried the deli cup method the different container and waiting a week before offering food and he just gets mad and runs away each time. It's been 3 months and I've tried to help him and I don't know what to do anymore. He has a nice heatmat and all what he needs.

I'm not sure how much you're handling him, but the picture seems to suggest it's something you do a bit of, as does your use of methods like the deli cup trick. Snakes are very shy creatures, especially youngsters, so you should keep handling and disturbance to zero or as close as possible until your snake has established a pattern of feeding.

A picture of his enclosure will help, as will temperatures (in Celcius! ;) ) rather than just assuring us that he has everything he needs. Peace, quiet and an absence of disturbance is one thing he seems he may not have, and some people give their snakes harmful things like UV, thinking they are doing the right thing while actually freaking their snake out, but if you just want to assure us you're doing everything right and we believe you, all we can do is say 'Okay, there's no advice we can give you, you're already doing everything right'.

It'll either be a case of the feed not being appealing or the environment not being to his liking, but you haven't given much information about either so it's difficult to give advice. Once they get started Hognose Snakes are very good feeders.

One likely possibility is that given you're currently in deep winter, even if he has access to a warm area he probably knows what season it is and he's just waiting for spring. This is especially true if you're in one of the northern states (I'm guessing you're in the USA) and you get a cold draft coming through when you open a door or window, even if the room is usually warm. Snakes are very tuned in to detecting what season it is and you'll only fool them if you keep them in a very carefully controlled environment.

An Eastern Hognose was my first snake in 1964 and I have a soft spot for them.

I'd second Sdaji's comments regarding excess handling and especially the weather/time of year. Not only heat needs to be regulated, but also photoperiodism.

If your Hognose was eating reliably before, it is a good chance he (correctly) thinks it is winter and should probably be allowed hide undisturbed in a humid place until you can cycle the lighting to simulate spring. Keep days short for a month, then gradually increase the length of the days until you have 14 hours of good daylight. This should bring him around.

Another thing is that the natural food of the US Hognose snakes is toads, which they use their upturned snout to dig and find. If he was not eating reliably before, this may be his issue.

It is common for these babies to refuse anything except a toad and many people trying to start these guys will keep a few captive toads to use to scent pink mice. Once the babies are started on mice, they will usually continue to eat them.

Latest posts

Back