Bad shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny

Reaction score
My yearling carpet has had a bad shed and I need some advice please.

It shed in bits rather than one clean piece. I've fixed most of it after a series of soaks and Vit E oil rubs but there is one really stuck bit about 2cm x 1cm on the body, well away from the vent.

I know this area is where it had a minor burn from a light globe a few weeks ago. I say minor because there was no blistering or weeping but a .5cm square piece of skin did lift off. Obviously, the bit that was missing has caused this problem.

So, if the remaining piece refuses to come away, despite more soakings, will that be a problem between now and the next shed, when I hope it will come away? If it will be a problem, is there anything else I can try?

id leave it till next shed now it will probadly come good on next shed

If it worries you, continue what your been doing....as longtom said, it should'nt cause a problem...just keep an eye on it.....

I know this area is where it had a minor burn from a light globe a few weeks ago. I say minor because there was no blistering or weeping but a .5cm square piece of skin did lift off. Obviously, the bit that was missing has caused this problem.
Sorry Jenny,this is in no way meant to offend you directly,but,as i have suggested many times in other threads is that you must put a cage around light bulbs....some people get away with it for years,i've seen it and don't know how the snakes didn't all get a burn but one eventually did so it's worth the bit of money and work put in to save just one burn.

I would put some betadine on the part where the skin came off even if it's not weeping and keep an eye on it as suggested.Is the remaing skin left on the tail and all the way around?

No offence taken.

It wasn't in the enclosure but encountered a desk lamp. I saw him heading for it and grabbed him and he swung towards the light and brushed against it. Even so, it was my fault and I feel very guilty.

All the skin is now off except for a small piece about 1cm x 1cm. I suspect there is a margin where the old skin is fused to the new skin because of the burn.

I used betadine and vit E for a week after it happened and am confident there is no infection. Even so, I'll take your advice a betadine it again.

He seems well in all other ways and is eating and behaving like usual.

Cool as,he should come good in a few sheds and you'll probabaly hardly notice it in time....so a desk lamp and he just touched it,shows how got they get!

100w and had been on for a few hours and yes, very hot. Couldn't believe it when it happened and will be much more alert next time.

Sounds like it will be OK Jenny, I would just leave it till its next shed, you don't want to go forcing in off and causing other problems, just let it take its natural course.

Yep, that's definitely what fluffy the snake has decided; he's well and truly fed up with me trying to help him.

I agree about the forcing as it's quite stuck and I don't want to pull off any living tissue.

I'll let you know what happens next shed as I couldn't find any old posts about shedding after a burn and it might help someone in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back