Base support for Turtle Tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whocametostay

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's time to upgrade and relocate my Turtle Tank and its two inhabitants while their room is painted but I've heard horror stories of fractured tanks on uneven surfaces.

Most flat surfaces at home are taken up with dust catchers of one kind or another and the largest flat area I can temporarily locate their new 1200 x 350 x 450 x 6 home is a section of tiled kitchen counter.

Each tile is lower in the centre than at the edges but I thought the polystyrene underlay might soften some of those ripples.

The biggest problem is that the left handside of the counter is level for 500mm then slopes down so that when you place a spirit level across the 1200 length the right side is about 10mm lower.

The tank will be run between 2/3 and 3/4 full around 126 to 142 litres plus gravel, rocks and drift wood so maybe 160kg in weight in the tank.

I've thought of double thickness polystyrene, 25mm custom wood plus foam and 50 x 75 wood bearers with ply and foam to level it out but I think this will just act like a spring board if I don't wedge the base or pack out the base.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how critical flat level bases for tanks are or do I risk a visit to a divorce lawyer and just use the top of the piano lol.

Thanks in advance Steve.

how about some styrofoam sheets?

the weight of the tank should even out the level.

Thanks dezza09 yep I'll slip a sheet or two under but was wondering if there was any other method to level a large area.
Still nothing like getting it right the first time.

Stephen

just don't fill it up the whole way.

only fill it enough to cover their backs.

They'll be ok for a couple of days like that, just keep the filter running to ensure bacteria doesn't die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back