Bearded Dragon Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeper

Reaction score
Well first of I am new to this forum, so I would like to take this opportunity to say Hello.

So Hello Everyone!!! :D

Now that is over and done with, I will get down to my questions.

I am currently looking at buying 1 (or maybe 2) bearded dragons, and I will need to set up a vivarium for them.

At the moment I am debating as to whether I should buy/build.

On the buying side of it, I have found a place called "Canberra Exotics" which is only about 1km from my house. They sell Bearded Dragon Set Up kits, like this one:
http://www.canberraexotics.com.au/productcloseup.toy?animalnid=35146&categorynid=35152&itemnid=74089.

Do you think that is a good price for what you get?

Are there any other places which build vivariums, preferably around the Canberra region, which I could compare prices too?

Now onto the build side of it, my main question is what sort of wood should/can I use? is there a wood which is considered to be toxic for bearded dragons? like chipboard etc?

At the moment I am leading towards building up the vivarium, I am thinking of a cage 4' x 2' x 2'. With two glass doors at the front, and possibly glass at either end. If you have any other advice on building a enclosure it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Trevor

hello trevor welcome id build my oun more saturfing and fun plus you,ll save lots herp shop mail orders lots goodies at really good prices and fast aswell

Yeah, id go with building yourself sweeper.

The best wood to use would be malamine. You can get it cut to size or you can even order a 4x2x2 flat pack enclosure delivered to your door so all you have to do it get glass, heating stuff and whip it together. Or just get the wood cut to size by bunnings. Will save you plenty i reckon. If building it yourself is too time consuming (ie: you couldnt be bothered. Trust me, ive been there) you can always buy one second hand fully fitted out and im sure it will be heaps cheaper than a petshop bought one.

Then for great prices on heating ect, hit up Matt at www.animalattraction.com.au and he'll get you going for sure.

You'll learn pretty quickly that its a hell of alot cheaper to buy your stuff online or second hand. Petshops usually have profit as their first priority, whereas hobbiests have the animals and the hobby as theirs.

Welcome to APS, and i hope you enjoy your time here!!!

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks for the comments so far,

WRT wood, I have been thinking of using Malamine as the base/back, and then using a "nicer" wood around the edges of the glass, to make it look good. If I was to do this, would a lacquer/polish on the wood be a good thing? guess it would have to be non-toxic, anyone done this before?

WRT petshops, Canberra exotics isn't actually a "pet shop" so to speak. The hobbiests who runs it, runs it out of his garage, where he has a rather nice private zoo of exotic animals. He mainly sells products mail order over the net, but you can go in and check out his private zoo. As he isn't a pet store, he sells everything at mail order prices, compared to pet shops around town. His prices are only a couple of dollars more expensive then the link you provided, but considering he is so close to me, I wouldn't have to pay for delivery :)

Trevor

if you deside to build your own enclosure just check out bunnings as previously said they have all the light fittings, cord, fluros and other things that you will need, just have a browse around, the only thing i bought from outside the hardware is my thermostat. Its much cheaper to build it and you get the bonus of making it anyway you like.
good luck

Hey Everyone

I went over to my old man's place on the weekend, as he is going to help me build the enclosure (i don't have any tools, nor a garage to work in). He has all the wood to make the stand etc, and all I will need to buy is the flat peices of wood for the internal segments.

Anyway Dad has a old glass door, where the top glass segment is 4' x 2'4". Dad suggested I use this as the glass for the front of the enclosure.

So my idea at the moment is to trim the wood around the door (it is solid wood not honeycomb) so I am left with the glass, and some wood framing on each side. I then plan to attach the glass, to the cabinet, using hinges, so it opens upwards.

Now I am worried about having beardeds in the cage when I open the door up. As the door is 2 foot high, I will be 2 foot away from the cage, are they likely to try and excape? or will they just sit there as I lift it up?

To counter this I have thought of making a 5-10cm lip, at the bottom of the cage, which the bottom of the glass will rest against. Alternatively I thought having the glass fixed to the front of the cage, and having two doors on either side of the reptarium? the only thing i see wrong with this idea, is reaching in the 2 foot to reach to the centre of the 4 foot reptarium.

Anyone see any problems with the swinging glass door? is the lip a good idea? any problems with the side doors?

I am also interested in building fake rock, and was checking out this link (which i notice has an swing door rather then sliding).

Anyway it got me thinking, I have heard the recommended space for 2 bearded is mininum of 4' x 2' x 2' (L x H x W). But does it matter it is different? what are the pros/cons of a 4 foot high enclosure?

Thanks
Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back