Beardie gravid or not?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Reaction score
I have a female beardie (who I am sure is a vitticeps) who is suddenly suspiciously wide girthed and eating like a pig....

I haven't had any gravid herps before, and have heard that if you gently feel their tummy you can feel eggs.

Fat tummy yes, but can't feel any definite eggs. Is it too late in the year for her to still be gravid?

I would really appreciate any suggestions, am going to try get pics of her tonight.

Fat beardie eating more than usual this time of year.... good chance she's gravid.
You can't always feel the eggs.

thanks Pete & Mag! Pete - I will try to bring her on Friday, just a bit worried about stressing her though. But she is the most happy lizard around, so she should be ok I suppose.

Any hints on how I should help her out? I have been putting supplements in her water, and she has been getting calcium drops for the last couple of months.

magpie is right just because you don't fell any eggs does not mean that they are not there. i find that my beardies just tend to feel realy full although you can not actualy feel any lumps in them.

the best way i find to check if a beardy is gravid, without stressing her out to much is to pick her up near the base of the tail, so you have taken her just out of reach of the ground look at her belly. they usuall flatten out in an attempt to balance themselves and this is when you usually see any eggs if they are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back