Beginner seeking husbandry help - Childrens python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nekrhitlo

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be getting my first snake soon, a children's python hatchling, and I am wondering how I should prepare the enclosure. I have the reptile one hatchling tank, a heat mat on one side, a hide on each end, a water dish and am currently finding a small lattice for climbing. I am unsure what sort of substrate/bedding to use. I have heard paper towel for young snakes to help cleanup/monitor them, but would like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

paper pellet cat litter works well and looks better than newspaper/butchers paper, I like to line the tank with paper and then put pellets on top, just incase they bury themselves in the pellets and decide to **** everywhere

A more natural and expensive looking substrate is kritters krumble

you can keep it on paper for as long as u like

I have that same setup, and the shop I bought my snake from gave me a roll of fake grass. I cut it into a few tank sizes and ironed it flat, and it's great. I take the piece in use out and replace with a clean one, and just wash it ready for the next round. Easiest clean up in the world and no wastage šŸ˜

I use paper towel for hatchlings. Newspaper is fine too. Paper also works great for adults, but I use Breeders Choice. There are countless options and it mostly comes down to personal preference. I'd suggest paper towel for hatchlings, then play around with different options when the snake is about half grown and see what suits you. Most of them are disposable anyway, so it's not like you're going to be stuck with your choice.

Latest posts

Back