Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeety_yai_yeety

Reaction score
Hi all, I understand that you probably get quite a lot of questions similar to mine, but for some reason I feel the need to write me own thread.

I'm planning on purchasing a snake early this september and need suggestions on which type of snake I should get. I'm alright with decently a snappy or bitey snake (not an agressive one but not super docile). I also want to get a large breed of snake such as an olive python or a scrub python, some larger carpet breeds would also be great. also if possible I'd like the breed to be more active and curious and kind of playful in a sense. Pattern on snakes isn't really important to me, I love all snakes and as I am attending school have only recently convinced my parents to let me get a pet snake, which I have wanted for more than 5 years.

I would definitely 100% not recommend a olive or scrubbie for a beginner snake.. they are definitely capable of killing a grown man... they’re more of a viewing animal if you get my drift

Carpets are definitely a good middle ground though :) they’ll give you good experience to eventually work towards an olive or a scrubby

I would definitely 100% not recommend a olive or scrubbie for a beginner snake.. they are definitely capable of killing a grown man... they’re more of a viewing animal if you get my drift

Carpets are definitely a good middle ground though :) they’ll give you good experience to eventually work towards an olive or a scrubby
What about a Woma Python? I've heard they make good beginner pets and they're moderately large and apparently quite active

Taipan? I hear they can be playful. :)

You mentioned a large breed of snake, (and mention Scrub pythons). My understanding (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) is that Woma's are nowhere in that category of size. What's the average scrubby grow to? Between 10 to 20 feet? The average length of a Woma is 5-8 feet in comparison - a big difference.

In saying that, my idea for a first snake was something that was large-ish to be interesting (larger than a Stimmi), but not large enough to get me into trouble. Something that had a reputation of being a good feeder, but also good at handling. And something that was interesting (entertaining). The Woma fit the bill for all those, and seems to be recommended by many for a first snake if someone is looking for something on the 'larger' side' without it being too large). I also found them quite pleasing to the eye.

Woma's have a good feeding response, but likewise once they're out of feeding mode have a reputation of being quite docile when handling. They also don't grow large enough to get into trouble with for a beginner. For me - I didn't consider a a scrubby because it seemed like things could get a bit out of control for me with little experience, so I think a Woma would be much better to look at, but in your original post - the type of snakes you were suggesting was well outside of a Woma. If you're wanting larger, maybe a Black Head Python? While I don't have much experience, I understand they're similar to Woma's I believe - except larger, but I'm sure someone with experience with all of these can chime in and give a better indication. (Plus, in addition to being inexperienced - I have quite a liking to the Aspidites genus so might be a bit biased). :)

Hi all, I understand that you probably get quite a lot of questions similar to mine, but for some reason I feel the need to write me own thread.

I'm planning on purchasing a snake early this september and need suggestions on which type of snake I should get. I'm alright with decently a snappy or bitey snake (not an agressive one but not super docile). I also want to get a large breed of snake such as an olive python or a scrub python, some larger carpet breeds would also be great. also if possible I'd like the breed to be more active and curious and kind of playful in a sense. Pattern on snakes isn't really important to me, I love all snakes and as I am attending school have only recently convinced my parents to let me get a pet snake, which I have wanted for more than 5 years.
Go on YouTube and search up some snakes ya like.. obviously Aussie snakes, watch how they move and see what people say about those particular breeds ect ect., seeing things with your own eyes always helps make up ya mind up abit if ya get me. Good luck dude there pretty awesome to have! :)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Laterally kill a man if they wanted to haha

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Morelias are my all time favorites , there are so many colour and pattern variants and they grow just big enough to look powerful and impressive, but not to big for one person to manage. As for temperament and handling , maybe I'm just lucky but my 3 are so laid back their perfectly horizontal :)

what is the obssetion with a bigger snake a childrens python would be the best but if u want a big snake get a woma a carpet in my opinion is an intermidiate snake to keep as an pet;):);):)

So , heaps of people get a carpet python as a first snake. Why is a childrens python THE BEST ???
what is the obssetion with a bigger snake a childrens python would be the best but if u want a big snake get a woma a carpet in my opinion is an intermidiate snake to keep as an pet;):);):)
You don't know anything about me , what makes you say I'm obsessed ???

You clearly don ‘t know much about keeping snakes if you are even remotely considering the possibility of a scrubby as a first snake. As the old adage states, you need to learn to walk before you try to run. Secondly, have you ever held a decent sized python, say one about two and a half metres in length? They are quite a handful at that size. I think you need to be more realistic about large snakes and what they might involve. Lastly, “playful”, in any sense, is not a word I would associate with snakes.

Research and care sheets will certainly help get you started on the right road. However, they will not teach you everything you need to know about keeping. In particular they cannot enable you to get to know your snake and its behaviours. Only hands-on experience will do that.

Just like any pets, some species are more difficult to provide for in captivity than others. Commonsense says you should cut your teeth on an easier to look after species, to build up a pragmatic skill base before taking on a more challenging snake or species. So what makes for a good ‘beginner reptile’? Well, basically one that is robust and tolerant, not too demanding and not potentially dangerous to deal with.

With frespect to large pythons, they are powerful animals and can deliver a nasty and poentially dangerous bite. Some have a particularly strong feeding response, and that is something that takes skill developrd through experience to deal with safely. This is why purchasing a large snake straight off the bat is not recommended for beginning keepers. However, that does not mean you have to start with a small species, just a small individual. You have been given some good advice here already. I particularly like cagey’s approach as being highly appropriate what you seem to want.

In terms of larger growing snakes, as already pointed out coastal carpets can grow to 3m (occassionally more). Some other suitable carpets for beginners can get to around two and half metres. The same is true of South Australisn locale womas - other locales are considerably smaller.

Womas and carpets seem to ‘enjoy’ being let out of their enclosures to take an investigative wander around the house or back lawn – always under supervised of course. Some keepers I know do this regularly, seversal times a week. It can also save having to cleaning up a mess inside their enclosure, as the amount of movement involved helps any faeces in the bowel to be pushed along and voided.

Good luck with it and hope you enjoy whatever snake you do end up with. Remember there are plenty of people here only too willing to help you on that journey.

Latest posts

Back