Best Beginner Snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spotted pythons, Children's pythons and Stimson pythons are the preferred beginner snakes, as they don't get too big (spotted-1.4m, stimson-90cm, childrens-90cm)
And they are generally easy to feed, handle, and maintain.
Hope this helps ?

To be honest it depends on what you want as an adult, I agree that smaller pythons are a good starting point if you like smaller pythons or would be a great choice for kids but personally, I don't have much interest in the small pythons and I don't find the colours that interesting, so a smaller python wouldn't be my first choice.

Everyone is different and it's your own choice, maybe you will adore them and I respect that, or maybe you would prefer a bigger adult python.

Have a look at all the different types, sizes and colours to choose one you like, not everyone wants a 2.5m heavy python so if that's you, don't get a breed that grows that large, or maybe you would like a big heavy python, choose something that will suit your interest and space.

Some animals will be inherently more difficult to care for such as scrub pythons and should be avoided if you lack experience but once you choose something you like, investigate their care and learn as much as you can to see if they will suit.

Good luck ?

There is no *best* species, people say Antares is but if you aren’t interested in antaresia, then what’s the point? Do your research, find a species you like and that you’re able to obtain on your license (Australian species only)

my first snake was a coastal carpet from a baby

My first and only snake (so far)... is a Woma Python. We were advised to buy a hatchling and she grows we have had time to get to get to learn and understand her more and 'grow' with her... starting from when she's very small and easy to handle. She'll be a respectable size when fully grown, but not something too difficult to handle still for newby's - although by the time it does get that large we'll have a little bit of experience and a couple of years with her under our belt.

Each individual snake has different personalities but ours was a great choice. She's so calm and gentle, and while bought for our daughter and I - even the misses who was quite reserved about it but 'gave in' to allowing us to have one called her 'cute' the first day we got her home and has grown to become attached to her in a very short period of time.

But in saying that Woma's are a "different" kind of snake. It depends on what you want in a snake. Some don't prefer them as they tend to be quite 'abnormal' (or dopey ?) compared to other snakes.... although that is what attracted us to them. That, and they're generally good temperament when out of the cage (ours is good even in the cage), and are normally known to have a strong feeding response too. The final length is a size that we were looking for in the end. They will require a larger cage in the end though (4x2) than your Stimmies and other smaller snakes.

In the end each person will have different ideas on what they think is a best snake because of their priorities, preferences and needs. My advise - listen less to what people say is the best snake, and listen more to what they say 'why' it's the best snake for beginners, and tally up the attributes of those snakes and then pick from the list with the attributes that best suits you rather than the snake that gets the most 'upvotes'.

Our Woma was great for us, but for someone else who only has room for a smaller enclosure, or only wants a smaller snake when fully grown, or is a little fearful about the possibilities of getting tagged by a larger snake, etc - it would be a poor choice.

i just got my first snake and its a carpet python absolutely love it (though i dont mind a little bit of a snappy snake)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back