Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entoalexa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey, buying new lizard and id like something that has a good temperament and doesnt mind being handled and can stay out of the cage without any problems. Something like an iguana would be ideal but obviously not a viable option.
-likes being handled
-largish
-nice appearance (colour/crests etc)
-not a beardie

Any ideas?
cheers!

EDIT: how are gippsland water dragons like for handling?

Last edited:
If you are interested in a monitor you could always try Varanus gouldii flavirufus - Tristis on here breeds them. I have two from him and both of them are good handlers. Be aware that, as with any monitor, there is a lot of work that goes into getting them to the stage that they are comfortable with people.

Eastern and Gippsland water dragons are beautiful animals. I don't keep any myself so I can't really give you any advice other than you will need a large enclosure as they are both large animals and can be quite active (similar to a monitor).

Netted dragons can be friendly, some of them get to a decent size. But you'll struggle to find something that 'likes' to be handled unless it's a beardie.

Bearded dragons are probably gonna be the only thing that suits what you are looking for, unless it is a python.

Ewds/Gipps water dragons aren't great handlers. Room temps dont bother them.

Most monitors much prefer to stay in a hot enclosure then room temp. Also dont handle great.

Rick

Last edited:
Boyds forest dragon? I'm looking into buying one at the moment.

I wouldn't classify Boyds as animals that are well suited to large amounts of handling...

I know you've said no to a dragon but they do make fantastic pets, can stay out of the enclosure for a while and most of them are great handlers...

I have a friend who has an easter water dragon that loves being out and handled. Follows him around the house like a dog.

Failing that or a beardie (which are fantastic with people and love being handled when they get over their little skittish baby stage), I'd recommend a bluetongue skink. My bluetongues are real people lizards and very affectionate and calm and great with children.

Water Dragons are normally high strung lizards and are not suitable for handling. If taken outside they will take off like a rocket and probably never seen again. Frillnecks would be slightly better option, but not much better

You said you didn't want a beardie but then described one. What's wrong with beardies?

beardies have become the most popular simply because they offer the best temperament,calm and easy to handle and easy to look after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back