Best first time lizard?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmonitors

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been considering getting a lizard before I could even legally get a license for myself, and now it's 7 years later. I'm seriously contemplating owning one soon, and have been doing a lot of research into what species I should get. However, I'm still not 100% sure and would love for some insight.

The main two lizards I'm contemplating are blue tongues or ridge-tailed monitors!
I've heard blue tongues make excellent starter lizards, but I'm also absolutely fascinated by monitor lizards and would love to home one if I'd be able to with no experience owning a reptile before.
However I am open to other lizard ideas. I'm not sure if a bearded dragon is for me, despite also being a starter lizard, but perhaps I can be convinced otherwise!

PS. I would 100% prefer a lizard species that tolerates handling more than others. I've heard most geckos are look, don't touch reptiles, but if any are fine with handling, I'd consider!

Another question that's pretty much in the previous question is; does a ridge-tailed monitor make a good first time lizard?

Blue tongues really are bullet proof as first up lizards. Will eat a variety of foods and enclosures can be set up fairly easily and cheaply. They will tolerate mistakes by first time keepers and are generally good handlers.

The most important question is though....

Which one interests you the most?

bearded dragons are also a fine lizard for beginners,I started with beardies many years ago and still keep them although I have many other reptiles now.Beardies are easy to keep and are reasonably friendly .
As Wally says though ...what do YOU really want ?

Like said, I'm stuck between blue tongues and ridge tails. Whilst I like monitors slightly more than BTs, I'd happily home the latter if it's a better choice!
Thank you for the input!

Monitors are hardy animals though their setup requires quite a bit more

Licensing differs between states too. Are BTS and monitors in the same keeping category in the state are you in?

If you want something that isn't bothered by handling a bearded dragon is the best choice IMO.

I don't think most monitors are hard to keep, but they need high basking temperatures 50C+, suitable hiding spots and are much faster and more agile than something like a blue tongue or bearded dragon.

I don't keep ackies, but AFAIK they are probably the best monitor to start with and can be handled with no risk of serious injury. Monitors are much smarter than other Australian lizards, which makes them much more interesting to keep IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back