best thermostat for incubators??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zobo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey,
been using several incubators over the years, but now I would like to find who is able to keep very very stable temps and what thermostat they use.

I have a timber incubator, with heat cord/mat and use a microclimate B2 and it seems to be able to hold pretty stable temps but still get about 0.8 c variation.

it is inside and in a stable insulated house.

what other thermostats have people used and what variance do you get at egg temps?

thanks
j
PS I am about to install a small computer fan to see if that helps spread the heat (incubator is 3ft x 2ft)

my incubator gets about 0.2C variation using heat cord and a habistat pulse proportional thermostat, no fan. however it is only a wine fridge, id imagine your incubator is a bit larger?

I have a habistat switching thermostat (available from The Herp Shop - Australia) pluged into the wall set at 1 or 2 degrees above the desired temp (it is the backup and should never do anything unless the other fails) and then have a dimming thermostat (ATC110) plugged into that which is used to control the temperature, accurate to at most +/-0.05C when used properly(setting the tiny dial is another issue though). Plugging the in the other way around may cause problems and wouldnt be accurate.

Plugging a dimming/pulse proportinal thermostat into another dimming thermostat/pulse proportional would probably cause problems as they typically have minimum power inputs. You should always make sure to use these according to their designed power usage.

You should try our herpstat. Just google herpstat and you will see many positive reviews of it. its the only reptile thermostat that has internal error detection that shuts of the unit when there is a fault.

i use the habistat pulse thermostat and 80 watt heat cord.no more than about 0.2 of a degree difference through the day.
cheers
simon

I use the microclimate B1 and use 4 / 25 watt globes.Globes have a thin wall and can adjust much quicker.

Cheers Mat.

thanks,
my set up is currently running well, with a 0.4 degree variation, but just wanting to get even less if possible.

when people say 0.2 degree variation are you measuring the total fluctuations or +/-?

eg 30.0 to 30.4
or 30.0 to 30.2

jas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back